Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Deb's Birthday, Ball Game(s), and a Little Riding

Where to begin as we have hopped from place to place and activity to activity quite a bunch since my last entry. Let's keep it chronological...

Friday after work Deb, Ian, Payton (E's buddy and twin), and I met my mom and dad at Hammond's Field to take in a SGF Cardinals game. My folks got some tickets that included a facility tour prior to the game, several pieces of swag, and nicely discounted prices on good seats (12th row behind home plate). So we arrive for the tour, but no one from the Cards shows up. Once the gates opened we went to guest relations (while the boys headed off for autographs) and they apologized as they dropped the figurative ball and comp'ed us with tickets for another game WITH the tour (more later). Super nice temps and great seats made for a fun evening. The boys really enjoyed themselves as sometimes I think Ian would pay to watch a Little League game just to watch the action.



Jake skipped the game (no surprise as he's not really a 'sports' fan) and hung out with friends. Him getting older is really starting to suck as I'm selfish and want him near always.

Saturday morning was Deb's birthday (let's just say STILL 29 even though her 40th was last year) and she had told me exactly what she wanted for a gift: 1) Sleep in, 2) No cooking, 3)No cleaning, 4) Not being an intermediary for the boys when feuding, 5)Brenda's breakfast, and 6) Lounging with her books all day; I can do that. So off to breakfast (way late in the morning) we went. Afterwards I threatened the boys no to disturb MOM and headed off with Ira and Dale on a 'cross ride on the gravel/dirt roads of southwestern Polk County.



Good 2:45hrs ride, but it was dry, windy, and (together) dusty. Toward the end it got a pretty warm and I think all of us were ready when Dale said he was buying drinks at Sonic.



Got home and we lazied around until Deb, Ian, and I headed off to catch SBU's season football opener and pre-game meal with the university President. Weather was good and that's about it as SBU got pounded 60-13 (thank you UCM, may we have another...).

Later Saturday evening Jake snagged an hour run and came back with a grin from ear to ear. The temp was nice and cool and the air was dry; he said it was the first time since April that he ran and it didn't hurt a single bit. He said he flew like in '09 and didn't want to stop; answered prayer! This was a huge mental hurdle for him as he knows he is not far off of being clear. We desperately need some cooler temps and lighter air for him... The Liber ator's first meet is this Saturday and looks like coach is going to run him with the team (pack run) as they are a young group and it will benefit both he and team this early in the season.

Sunday AM I hit SBU and got in 1:20hrs of bike driving. As promised the following is installment #2 of "Show JB SBU":



Off to church and immediately after my bro and I jumped on the rigs and road to Republic (well, pretty close) where we met my mom and dad, and aunt and uncle for a late lunch. After chowing down we all went to my dad's church to celebrate his 30th anniversary of pastoring Reavisville Baptist Church, which is an incredible feat. He and my mom have seen their share of ups and downs, but mostly ups as the group that once was 20-25 folks is now over 120 strong. They (RBC) have an incredible love and sense of community that is missing in so many 'large/metro' churches these days. I have no idea how much longer my pop will preach at RBC, but I don't really see signs of him slowing down. I am so proud of his ministry and service and love that I am part of his family.

Back to the Bodunklivar ranch with just enough daylight to get a family soccer game in. Deb and I couldn't hold off Jake and Ian as they took home the 1st of many '10 UBSWCC (United Backyard Soccer World Cup Championships) to be played.

Took Monday as a recovery day as the rest of the week is full on LOAD IT UP mode.

Cruised out of work a little early Monday afternoon, picked up Ian and Payton, and headed back down to our 'make up' Cards tour and game. This time the good folks of Hammond's were there and we got the look of the place to include going down on the field and dugout (the boy's favorite).


Pretty fun seats again above the first baseline dugout and E & P even scooted their way down and got front row seats for several innings. Ian lucked out and got a player to toss him a ball after a third out (his evening was made and the smile lasted a long time). Since it was a school night I rounded up the boys at the end of the 5th inning and he headed back toward Bolivar. Two absolutely fun evenings at the ball park with my folks (even though I am still waiting for my funnel cake - much like a pony...).
.
Tuesday AM I got out for a lite run and swim workout; the air was super thick and Jake confirmed it as his AM run was brutal on his asthma. Racing the A&B Dirt Crit tonight and look forward to watching the 'fast kids' disappear and me trying to hold on for dear life. A&B Cycles has some 29er Specialized bikes for demo and I am toying with the idea of cruising on one tonight... we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment