Monday, August 9, 2010

Here Piggy Piggy...

We'll get to the title in a bit, believe me it's worth it.

Friday evening Jake and I grabbed a bag o'corn and drinks and caught Dinner With Schmucks. Its a pretty funny watch, but both Jake and I were hoping for a little more hilarity. Up next is The Other Guys.

Saturday morning Deb and I had planned to go with some friends and ride the Tour de Cox on the tandem. As it turns out she and I ended up being the only ones going so we decided to do a three hour ride out of Bolivar just the two of us. The temp was super nice (we left at 7:30am) with a lite southern breeze so we decided to make our way south through Pleasant Hope and make it up from there. Deb was stoking like a champ so at PH we continued on south toward SGF and turned west on WW where Deb made a comment about a huge pig in some one's yard; of course we had to turn around. Sure enough, there was a huge Lawn Pig (pictures and video don't do this thing justice to how huge it was). So I take a picture it starts making it's way to us so then I have to start with the video. The entire time Deb is scared that the ultra-slow moving pig is going to be an 'attack pig' and she is begging for us to get out of there; which only makes me drag me feet more to see exactly how close it will get (we are still on the road mind you). The thing ends up within 8 or 9 feet of us before the owner comes out, calls the 'family pet' by name, and it turns and starts back toward the house. It's not the most bizarre thing I have ever seen on a ride, but the combination of it's hugeness and Deb's frightened start puts it in the top 15 or so.



We ended up with a 50 miler and getting out of the sun before it got really hot. I absolutely love riding the tandem with Deb and have not regretted that purchase as it combines two of my favorite things in one event.

Once back home and cleaned up Deb and I took off for SGF while the boys decided to hang at the casa. Got in some light shopping before heading back home. Saturday evening was mostly spent out of the sun, but Ian and I hit the bikes once the sun started dropping. We cruised various parts of SBU campus as he continually made made dashes for signs and would strike his 'Cav - HTC pose'; he didn't care for my 'Fletcha - arrow' or my 'Sastre - pacifier'. 3G's put a caper on the night.

Sunday was all about rest and relaxation. Slept in some, made it to church, then Deb and Jake took off for SGF (back to school shopping) while Ian and I hung out. It was a toaster outside so we opted for indoor games: several Nerf basketball games (he has the pro version backboard/break-a-way rim combo), Catan, lots of Ping Pong, and a handful of Tiger Woods '09 on the Xbox.

So Sunday evening was spent in the shop putting the final touches on the Blue to get it in full on CX mode. Dropped the 'big ring' as I'm a single 42t up front kind of guy and installed the Pauls chain keeper; I picked it up into the season last year and am sold on it's simplicity and functionality. I had an issue with Paul's clamp not being big enough for the Blue's seat tube (chunky at the BB area) so I figured out how to use the Sram front d clamp and it works great.
Debated on bar tape (Specialized Roubiax) color this year and decided to go with traditional black (last year it was white and no I didn't have a problem keeping it clean) with the white hoods; I really like how it turned out and think it will be super pimp with my white Challenge XS's.
Speaking of tires, looking forward to getting the Challenge and Vittoria's this week. It's been some years since I last stretched and glued up some tubies, but looking forward to re-familiarizing myself.

Up and at'em this AM for a good 1:45hr tempo ride over the hilliest stuff I could find to get in some strength work. Really liking the tighter cockpit, but hating the warm muggy humidity outside (at 6am I was sweating before I got out of the driveway). Going to hit a swim workout in the pool this PM, a lite hour CX handling skills ride tomorrow AM, and then the A&B Dirt Crit (#2) in the evening (supposed to be hot and nasty like last week - oh joy!).

Dale was out in Philly this past weekend and jumped in the Grand Fondo Colnago Philadelphia on Sunday. He said it was one of the tougher 100 milers he had done with tons of climbing. Colnago set him up with a sweet ride for the event since he reps their bikes and was in Philly for one of their meetings - nice.
Looks like the family is heading to KC this Thursday for a Royals baseball game as the NY Yanks are in town and Ian is dying to see A Rod and Jeter play. Forecast is crazy hot for the game... sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment