Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A&B Dirt Crit Week #2

Tuesday morning up and early for an hour of bike driving practice at SBU. Lite spin while simply getting the feel/flow of corner after corner after turn after turn... I was soaked with sweat at the finish (even though I doubt my HR got above 135) which let me know Tuesday evening's dirt crit was going to be a steamer as the humidity was higher than last week.

Mid-way thru the day a local bank had 101* (weatherbud had the index at one point 111*) posted and I started rethinking my sanity (which every racer does on a regular basis).

So Ira drops by after work and we head down to Sac Trails for A&B's Dirt Crit #2. The turnout was much better overall even though the A race was a couple folks lighter (noticeably J Brackett who took 2nd last week). We got there in time to watch Dale's B race in which he looked good but was still feeling the Philly Fonda from Sunday. J Lotz, a recent SBU grad and now fellow Bolivarite, jumped in on this first ever bike race and did really good. Nice to see Bodunklivar with a decent turnout. Not much on the warm up side as changing clothes seemed to do the trip of breaking a good sweat. No MWI clothing last night as I grabbed for the coolest/lightest weight material I had even though I knew white bibs would get me some ribbing on the line (thanks Cale).



So whistle blows and off we go with Mark Gullett, Cale M, and Ira head up the front with me right on their tale. After a couple single track areas I jump around Ira (Mark and Cale are already gone) and set off on my tempo knowing that regulation of my effort and heat is key to not blowing before the 45 minutes is done. At the end of 2 laps (still in third) I have a slight lead over some chasers and decide to up the effort level for the next 2 laps to widen the gap; it worked as I increased it my well over a minutes. Time to settle back into my rhythm and ride within myself. Half way thru a lite southern breeze came in and immediately cooled off by at least 10*, which felt incredible. Never really had to step on the gas for the rest of the race as I was no where near the front two and the gap to 4th was over two minutes. Moved up one spot over last week to finish 3rd (fully understand that I will resume my rightful place once JB returns). Since I don't have a cyclo-computer on my rig I'm not sure of the speed compared to last week, but I felt somewhat a little flat fitness wise although I think my bike handling is getting better and better as I get to understand the lines on each turn.



I am digging these weekly efforts as it works in great with my 'cross building. I have not come close to getting in the 'red zone' at these but sustained effort at a higher than normal rate is perfect for early/early season.

Ira had a solid race and came in 5th riding way faster than last week.



We hung around for quite a while after the event and got to know/reacquaint with some fellow racers. It's a good group of folks out there and A&B are doing a great job. Found out they have Specialized demo 29ers at the race site for free use. Was thinking about trying one out in a couple weeks, but am hesitant as I probably don't want to know how nice they are as I don't have a budget to get a new one and it would drive me nuts if I liked it; better to not know and enjoy my 'too small for me' 2003 V-brake Trek. Next week St. Johns Waffle #2 takes the place of Dirt Crits to it's to Fellows Lake for a 33 mile RR.

Had a nice lite 1:40hr spin this AM around the outskirts of Bolivar. Ran into Lou and Shelley Harris and cruised a couple miles with them. Smart kids to get their riding early while it is still only double digit temps. Looking at the sun as it rose over the trees this AM you can just tell it is getting ready to unload a ton of heat for the rest of the day.

Hoping to grab some laps in the pool this PM as it's the best total body strength workout for me in a 30 minute span. Since it's indoors SBU does a good job of keeping the water temp just chilly enough to make laps comfortable as opposed to some that cater to the recreational folks and warm it up - horrible swimming conditions.
.
Tomorrow Ian, my pop, my bro, and I are taking in a KC Royals night game. Why would we go see the Royals when the Cards are the better team to watch? The Yankees are in town and Ian is dying to watch A Rod and D Jeter play (and try to get an autograph). Forecast is at 100* for KC, but we are sitting was the third base side which should be shaded (lets hope). Anyway, should be a good time. Funny how Deb insisted it be a 'boys trip' and opted out knowing it is going to be a "sweat-fest"

No comments:

Post a Comment