Friday, August 6, 2010

A Roll in the Grass with The Mistress

Thursday night before going to bed I caught the weather forecast and after hearing cool temps in the AM I slipped off to sleep with a smile on my face; couldn't wait for morning...

Jumped up this AM for what would usually be a Polk County backroads affair with my slightly altered girlfriend (more on that in a minutes), but since I got no takers for riding partners I figured it was an awesome morning to bust the dew on the three different training courses I have at SBU. Sleeveless jersey was a bit chilly as I slipped out of the driveway; hold up, did I just say CHILLY!?!?!? Anyway, got in 1:30hrs at an easy spin and re-learning my cornering and general cx skills. I forgot how it takes a bit to 'get the hands tough' on cx terrain. Full dew was in effect and with a recent mowing (a day or two prior) it was full on clippings covering everything. One of my favorite sights is a single line running through wet grass; we all know it brings a smile just thinking about it...



Most of the time I get strange looks from those out and about on campus, but today I had a personal cheering group as the SBU women's soccer team was back in full AM swing and one of the courses runs right next to their practice facility; easy ladies, can't you see I was already on a date... Super morning conditions and all around great workout.


So I jumped ahead a couple days so let me back track. Wednesday was a total rest/off the bike day and in the evening Ian and I went to SBU and shot baskets and swam for a while.
Thursday I played some b-ball at noon and at 8:30pm I headed out for a steady tempo effort for 1:30hrs around Bolivar. I have a well lite loop that runs me near 30 minutes with a lot of cornering so there is a ton of get up out of the saddle and up to speed opportunities. Deb and E went out on a pretty long bike ride around town; he has gotten the bug for riding here of late.
.
Did a couple minor changes to the Blue's set up as I tried out a shorter stem and a slightly farther back saddle position and it seems to have me in a nice balanced CX position. My cornering is way better and can carry much more speed in tight stuff. Our DS received our Challenge shipment and I can't wait to give the Grifo XS's (in white of course) a spin. Earlier I had no plan to have a set of tubulars so I got the XS in clinchers and passed on ordering any tubies. Since then I picked up a solid set of DA hub/Torelli rim tubulars in great shape really cheap so I ended up getting a set of Vittoria XM 32s (which should arrive in a couple days). The XM's are the newer 320tpi version which received solid reviews.
.
Speaking of repairs, scooter #2 is under review (mechanically) and it appears this one might require a small investment in parts to get it up and going; still not a big expense when you consider it was free. Ira and I are going to mess with it here and there to see if we can get it up to speed (literally).
.
Not really sure what is on the agenda for the weekend, but think Deb and I might go to the Tour De Cox tomorrow and ride the 43mile loop on the tandem. Would like to catch Dinner with Schmucks as it looks pretty funny; so does The Other Guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment