Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Lost Valley MTB

This past weekend Ira, Scott, and I jumped in the Red Wagon and made our mtb season debute at STL's Lost Valley event. Always a good time traveling with these guys as the conversation isn't too deep and time passes quickly (with the exception of Scott talking about his coveted Cat1 license - HA!). Since I brought it up, he must be one heck of a stud rider to get one of those as I am sure they just don't hand those out without rhyme or reason... or do they?!

Ira and I stuck with the Sport class (he 30-39 and I 40-49) and Scott 35+ Expert. This event was not at all what I was expecting as it was more like a dirt circuit race on fire roads with two sections of singletrack (thank goodness as my mtb skills are lame). Ira dominated his event, I snuck in a 2nd place, and Scott placed mid-pack with way faster lap times the both Ira and I.

I found myself off the front of my group with a strong guy from STL and we worked the fire roads really well together. I had a bit of misfortune as I snapped a chain half way through the event and eventually made my way through the field to finish 2nd around 3min behind first place. The guy I was with was great when my chain went as I had no tool and he dropped me his. John, THANKS! All in all I was pretty happy how the bike performed and my general fitness. Next weekend is Rim Wrecker, which is mostly single track so it will give me a better perspective on how I will fair in a real mtb event (not a dirt crit). I thought about going to the Dogwood RR, but I am liking the mtb for now. Soon enough I will be crit racing again (only 4 years or so off).

Jake is off skiing with Deb's dad in Colorado and Ian is with my mom & dad in KC for the week. Jake called today and said it was 12*, but the snow was falling. Deb and I don't know what to do with our quiet home... well, I'm sure we will figure out some things to do as I already got some of the list: 1) repaint living room/hallway 2) find new bedroom furniture 3)...

Jake turned 16 yesterday and I really didn't care for him being gone. He will probably never realize just how much I love having him near, but I try to let him know every chance I get. It is the same with Ian (who is 8), but it hits me more with Jake knowing we have only a couple years left of him being home full-time.

Track practice was pretty good and I am looking forward to watching one of the kids high jump; he has an incredible amount of potential. Just a quick catch up: I work with the Bolivar High School track & field jumpers on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It gives me an alterior motive to be at the track and watch Jake run.

My brother Jim is coming over tonight for dinner and then we all are watching the new James Bond movie. He is batching it while his crew is out of town so why not help out a brother (literally).

1 comment:

  1. Just remember to to bow accordingly whenever I whip out the Cat 1; soon to be double Cat 1 then watch out. That'll surely give me an ego the size of no other.

    ReplyDelete