Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Back to the Routine


The past couple of weeks were out of sorts for us with Jake's school play and then spring break and folks all going their own ways. Now it seems we are back to a routine schedule, which is my comfort zone. For many years I tried to convince myself I am a 'fly by the seat of your pants' personality, but for some time now I have come to grips that I need a schedule/routine and I get cranky when outside of it; needless to say Deb is glad I am back to a schedule.

Yesterday I worked with the high school jumpers, then a quick drop in to watch my neice's WinterGuard performance - fun to watch her doing what she like and is good at, then finished up with Ian's basketball practice, which I help coach.

Today I head out early from work to make Jake's first track meet of the year. He is again running varsity on the 4x400, 4x800, and the open mile. He is hoping for a good opener, but admits his legs are a little lagging after last week's ski trip; I think he'll be solid. He has shown some impressive foot speed leading up to this and likes the potential to be a full time 4x400 member. Distance and middle-distance athletes in SWMO are top notch and it will be good to watch our boys (Bolivar HS) progess through the system.
The picture is of us this past January in Memphis after a 16mile trail race; it was an awesome day. He is now hooked on trail running.

Fitness: Yesterday I felt pretty decent after Sunday's race so I played 1 1/2 hrs of basketball with the crew at SBU. This is not your usual group of middle-aged guys getting together to 'get a little exercise', this is NOON-BALL! Typically 12 or so guys who get after it every play at a pretty high level of skill and have no intention on lossing a game. I equate it to a solid run interval session. I usually leave pretty whipped, but feeling refreshed and yesterday was no different.

I got on the trainer for an hour this morning for an easy spin at high cadence to loosen the legs for a strenght workout tonight and hopefully 2hrs of solid riding tomorrow (weather dependent on morning or afternoon ride time). I really like (and look forward to) the strenght workouts as I am feeling much more power than the past years. I have noticed differences on the mtb, but am looking forward to a couple crits to see the benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment