Monday, March 30, 2009

Sunday at the Races

This week was round 2 of mtb racing in MO. Ira and I met Scott in Lebanon and headed toward Council Bluff Lake for the Rim Wrecker. Forecast the days before focused on the blizzard to end all creation (well maybe not, but it was supposed to dump on us) and in Bolivar and Lebanon there was hardly a sciff of the white stuff. It was certainly cold out, but it appeared we missed the nasty stuff as all roads were clear. As we passed though Salem and heading east we noticed the significant increase of snow and by the time we parked at CBL there was 4" on the ground (and the trees, but more on that later). The 4" was on top of the tons of rain the place got the day before and the temps were rising so that meant even more water/moisture on the trail. None of us had ridden the 12 1/2 mile loop before so for the second week in a row we were going blind.


After diliberation we decided it was time to get the bikes down, suit up, and get this over with. During this process the winds picked up and some sun was peeking through which caused another round of monster snow fall... from the trees. Huge amounts pelted the beginners/marathoners on the course and folks getting ready for their events. It was pretty interesting to watch. Clothing selection was difficult as it was supposed to get warmer as the day progressed, but for now it was still chilly and we were told there were numerous creek crossings (which was an uderstatement). I started with leg warmers and no vest, but after a quick warm up I went with regular kit with arm warmers, full tights, vest, ear warmers, and seal skin socks (nice choice for most of the course).


Scott went off first then Ira and I a minute later (they combined the start of all sport racers). This was my first real test in longer singletrack at race pace and I made a promise to myself not to try to match Ira, or anyone else with better skills, and ride at my ability level. The course throughout was awesome singletrack with a little double thrown in. 1/2 of the course of mud/water slop and the back sections looked like it had never seen a drop on it- pretty weird stuff. While I didn't ride great I kept it pretty steady and handled the manuvering pretty good through a challenging course. The creek crossings were numerous (which kept the drive train rinsed), deep, and freezing. My Seal Skin socks worked great for most of the course, but got in a couple deep spots that dumped it in from the top (and then once in the barrier system does a great job of not releasing it - double edge sword of sorts). Full mud was the look of the day, but it wasn't the sticky type which kept me fully shifting without problems all race. I am still a rim-break guy so it was challenging getting the rig to stop/slow down for most of the tight stuff.


I got a pretty good start and was 5th or 6th into the singletrack and quickly watched Ira and a couple others slip away. He is silky smooth when it comes to singletrack. I quickly got into my pace/groove and while I had moments of stupidity in line choice I felt decent for most of the event. An interesting thing about this mtb series is that everyone races on time and not number of laps so the cut off to start another lap is 1hr 30min (if you are there before you go again, show up after your race is done). Lap times was discussed before the start and estimated the 1:30 mark would be close, but most would make it for a second loop. I talked with the guy who won my race last week at the start and we decided that if we were off the front again and close to the 1:30 mark I would concede the win and take second (never really thought this would be an issue). So here I am with 12 miles done and looking at the time; not so much to push the pace, but to see if I dragged enough butt I wouldn't have to go out again (not exactly race mode, I know). I was confident I was in second place with a decent gap (no idea where 1st was) to 3rd and considered myself lucky that everything on the bike was still functioning great. I rolled up to the start/finish area at 1:28 to find 1st place waiting for me (he showed up at 1:27). We talked and neither seemed interested in going another 1:30 hours in the slop so I stuck with what I told him earlier and took second.


Scott had played the same card as I and was already changing at the truck. Turns out he raced a tw0-speed bike for most of the course (big and middle ring with no shifting in the rear) and finished 3rd 35+ expert (pay day was 2 deep). Ira, on the other hand, came through at 1:25 and was afraid a couple guys in his division were close behind so he went out for another loop. 3:07 was his final race time and he bagged another win - no sandbagging there, just another solid ride and a nice bottle of rasberry Hammer.


All in all it was a good day. I felt a little flat during the race and couldn't mentally find the fire to go as hard as I did the week before. It think it was a combination of the late hours (stupid CofD), a touch of Ian's cold (which is worse this morning), and mostly a lack of desire to ride another 12 1/2 mile lap in those conditions.


April 19th is the Tick race so I am looking for three weeks of solid riding. I am back to having fun on the bike (the most I have had in a long time) and enjoying not hauling my butt around a 12-24 hr AR course - those days are getting farther and farther in the distance.


No comments:

Post a Comment