Sunday, December 6, 2009

2009 Cyclocross a Wrap

It comes and goes so fast and seems it takes forever for it to come around again. No, I'm not talking about Christmas or the holiday season, I'm talking about the freaking best cycling discipline ever created - 'Cross, baby!

Friday after work we (Deb, Jake, Ian, and I) met the Appleby's at our local Mexican joint and wolfed down some dinner. After that Ian and I scooted over to Buffalo to watch Bolivar High play in a basketball tourney. After the game we met Deb and her folks motor home and played some Spades (Jim and I kicked some booty - again!). Jake was having some friends (so it was many more than SOME) over so we snuck in, got Ian in bed, and we crashed without many kids even knowing we were there.

Saturday came early and the crew headed to SPR for Ian's basketball game (at 8:20am). We were short a couple kids, but the boys there played great and we nabbed a 22-19 win. Afterwards Deb met up with a friend and they Christmas shopped the rest of the day while Ian, Jake, and I grabbed some breakfast with Jim A and Linda. The boys and I did some lite shopping of our own and made our way back to Bolivar a little after noon. I spent a little afternoon time helping a couple friends work on the Pose Method of running (as I have used this technique for the past 6 yrs or so and it's always good for beginners to see it in action). Later on Ian and hit the gym to shoot (at his begging request) around and play some 1-on-1. Ian is the team's best ball handler and passer so he doesn't get very many looks at the basket (shots in layman's terms) during his games so it is not uncommon for us to go shoot after a game. The rest of the afternoon was pretty laid back with Jake hanging out and Ian and I watching some basketball on TV. Later in the evening Deb returned and she and Ian went to an SBU basketball game, Jake had some friends over, and Ira and I headed out to stay the night with a buddy of his in Jeff City (2 1/2 hr drive out of the way instead of driving in the morning). Big thanks to Nick, owner of Red Wheel bike shop and fearless leader of Team Red Wheel, for letting us crash for the night. Will return the favor if you get to the SPR area.

It was great not having to pack up and leave Bolivar at 5am as we got up around 7am and took our time heading east to Hermann. Ira's biggest concern of the day was whether or not they were going to serve the same BBQ from the Herman Under the Lights race (he wasn't joking either - serious stuff). We got on site pretty early and it gave us some time to preview and walk the course... OK, I am lying, we stayed the heck in the car with the heater on until we HAD to get out. It was below 30 for the early parts of the morning and it climbed to the mid-30*s after noon. We did go to registration, picked up our numbers (I dropped the Cat 3 race as I figured I didn't have a back to back in me), took a look at some of the course, and headed back to warmth. The parts of the course we did look at had a light freeze on the top, but quickly found a slush of mud underneath as riders broke the top layer. By the time my race at noon came I anticipated a slippy day (and I wasn't wrong).

Via Twitter got the bad news that Crusty wasn't going to make it to the race. He has had a rough 'cross season with sickness and for as much crap as I give it absolutely sucks for him and us that we only got to race a couple events together. Take some time, shake yourself, and get back in the game for '10. On a similar note: Frustrating year for ScottyD to some point as his job schedule played havoc with his racing and he was really coming on with his latest races. Turned out we shared a handful of rides to and from events, but not nearly as many as I initially planned.

Back to the event... So Ira's Cat 4 race started at 11am so around 10 or so he was out pre-riding and upon his return it was obvious the mud (sticky type) had already reared it ugly head. He had gone down a couple time (in warm up) and commented on how all corners were loosening up and slick as snot. He also commented on it being on the cold side (he was wearing a couple layers) so I broke out the Big Shark THERMAL suit. I love my MWI gear, but thermal was the obvious choice of the day and will put a MWI one on top of my list for '10.

Prior to Ira's race I got out on the course and took two preview laps; each one with less and less tire pressure. The layout was wide open for the most part, but the introduction of the crazy slick turns (just about every one of them) and mud bogs was what I needed to keep this from being a grass crit. I took ScottyD's words from the St. Mary's race a couple weeks earlier to heart and decided to find my rhythm and ride it without trying to push past my capabilities and it seemed to work OK during warm ups.

THE COURSE: Long (and I mean long) opening paved straight start dropping onto the grass for a couple 180s to a low barrier section (see pics below). There was a choice to be made as they were ridable, but at what cost if you goofed on one of them so I ran them each time during the race and neither gained nor lost ground on those hopping them (if they cleared all)...




From there it weaved thru some turns leading to the MUD BOG (see below), which wasn't super long, but strength and speed zapping. Pick a line and try to ride as straight as possible and go with whatever happens...



Next was an off-camber pretty steep climb that was ridable for a few, but I opted the safe and steady run up every trip. After a quick flat it was straight down the other side to a flat section that was a little slick...

To a series of wide turns that was a Slip-n-Slide for everyone as numerous folks bit it here. During the race cash was sprouting out of the ground (I passed on the easy money)...


After a little pavement and a couple turns you ended up at a stair run up (same one he always uses)...


Then some twists and turns leading to a barrier section and then a sand pit...


Finally some more easy turns looping back to the start/finish area (50 meters on asphalt). Good layout and like I said before it would have been a super fast one if it was dry.


Went over to catch the start of Ira's race. He ended up with a 3rd row start and looked pretty good at the onset. He bit it a couple times, struggled with the mud some, but looked strong in the dry and dismount areas, and finished 16th.

I spent most of Ira's race on the trainer and then headed over to my start (Masters 40+). I kept telling myself to ride at my ability and don't get outside of what I can ride even others are riding away - steady. Jeff Yielding, promoter, did a nice job of stagger starting the age groups. Funny thing is it was supposed to be 30 seconds between, but it ended up being more like 10-15 seconds. I got a decent start and was in the top 4 going to the first set of barriers. Quickly a Big Shark guy and a 360 guy (Jenks) slipped off the front; I initially went after them, but found a couple bobbles in the mud had me remembering my strategy - steady. I backed off, got in my effort level, and never saw them again. From the 1/2 way of the first lap to the last 1/2 of the last lap I was on my own holding off a couple chasers by 15-20seconds. T. Flemming (360 guy in the Masters 45+) was 5-10 seconds behind me for 90% of the race and a couple times I sat up a little hoping to get some help on the long straight aways but the chasers weren't far off him so I would pick it back up. Flemming caught me on the last lap as the two chasers had faded and after a quick audible acknowledgement of different age categories I rode his wheel for a while. It became obvious that although no one was close to him he was trying to drop me so I bidded my time, he got out of the saddle in the closing meters, so I punched it and finished a little ahead (show in above picture); it was fun so no big deal.

Long and short of it - I ScottyD'ed it (steady and smooth) and finished 3rd (in the money) and since Jenks was a Kansas guy I got 2nd place for the state title. I'll be honest, since Winkler didn't show I was hoping to win, but whoever the Big Shark guy was he earned it as he rode away from all of us quickly. Brought home some cash, bottle of wine, and a silver state medal. ...and by the way, the thermal suit was the best spot-on clothing choice and Greyhound Juice (HOT) did exactly what is was made for.


Ira and I stayed around and watched part of the 3 race and tried to knock off some of the mud before turning the Camry southwest.

***All above pictures compliments of Ira Brown photography skills***

Here is a great clip of a run through of the course during the Masters race (I pass by on the first barrier section). The guy filming was in the 35+ age group I believe.











Got home in time for a gathering of friends at the casa to watch the season finally of Amazing Race, did some scrubbing and laundry, watched a little Sunday Night NFL, then off to bed.

JY does a great job with his races and truly has a passion for putting on quality events. He has moved to Rock Star Race Promoter status in my book as he paid out cash to each of the master categories at state. His events are well worth the long drives from SWMO and will be a staple on my calendar for 2010. Jeff, sorry I won't make your upcoming races as it's time to hang up the cycling shoes and slip on the trail runners.

Using this week to break down the Blue and prep it for some road work come after the New Year. This has been a great 'cross season and I'm so glad to be fully back in the mix. Got to meet and know some great folks and race some new venues. Extremely excited about 2010 cycling as I plan to do a close repeat of what I did this year: spring mtb'ing, summer crits, and fall is 'CROSS. Running miles (more than I already do) starts tomorrow morning with trail running on the weekends as I prep for Jake and I's Memphis race in January.

OK, to a whole different topic: For most of my life I have tried desperately to avoid growing up and for the biggest part I have succeeded, but today Deb and I bought our first piece of commercial real estate and for why I don't know I have mixed feeling about it as it is making me feel more 'responsible and grown up'. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of everyday 'big boy' responsibilities, but for some reason this one is making me feel 'older' (let the comments start now Crusty...). Whining I am not, just trying to figure out why I am wrestling with this; maybe it's because another cycling season has come and gone and I am feeling the affects... or maybe it's because I am ACTUALLY getting OLDER. For whatever reason it is THIS STINKS!

2 comments:

  1. So, how did the Blue fair in the mud with the tight rear tire clearance? Also, what is up with the Big Shark kit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mikey - Suprisingly it kept relatively clear with no issues. It is still a little nutty that with JP's input they wouldn't have opened that up for a little more clearance.

    Big Shark kit is the only thermal I have and it was the right choice for me - warm and flexible since I didn't have to layer up (by the way, I am soft like that). Top priority is a team kit thermal for next year.

    Shoot me an email @ trijones@windstream.net so I can grab your contact info...

    Watched most of your race and those guys up front were laying it down. How was it from ur perspective?

    ReplyDelete