Monday, December 14, 2009

Weekend of Sniffles

Head cold jumped on me pretty hard Friday afternoon and zapped any motivation and energy to run this past weekend. Usually it would drive me nuts to skip some training and I would end up doing it anyways and making me more sick. But you know what, it's December and my racing season is done and I simply smiled (along with sneezed, coughed, and snorted) all weekend as it was the perfect time to get sick. Outside of a couple 'fun' trail running races in January and February I don't have anything of focus until March or April when I'll race a handful of mtb events; and of those I use them to build fitness so I am enjoying some down time.

Friday after work Jake, Ian, and I knocked out some local Master Wongs. That's right, we love the whole-in-the-wall experience which has the cheapest Cashew Chicken that tastes the BEST. After that Ian and I headed over to watch BHS basketball games while Jake met up with some friends to do what teenagers in Bolivar do - nothing. Deb met us later on at the game, which turned out to be a close win for the home team. Afterwards we returned home to a house of around 15-18 high school kids hanging out and watching movies. Ian, Deb, and I retreated to our bedroom and watched some NBA until late into the night; Eball ended up crashing in our bed until morning.

Saturday morning Ira, Jake, and I were supposed to hit some trail running, but none of us felt well so we skipped it. Not a whole lot was accomplished during the day as the main focus was centered around goofing off and staying warm. Mid-afternoon a bunch of folks got together at Tom and Sarah (pictured right) Jones' flat to watch the Bolivar Christmas parade. Sad parade in my opinion as several of the vehicles were sole advertisements with no theme or extras. The kids all made a crazy haul on candy. The Brown crew (all 98 of them - just kidding only 6) made the scene and Ira always adds some life to any gathering.



The rest of the afternoon found Ian and I at the gym shooting baskets (most him while I watched). He has to be close to getting his 10,000 hrs (that will make sense if you read Outliers). Saturday evening was spent at SBU watching the men's basketball team extend the NCAA's longest home winning streak to 37. No late bedtime for us afterwards as we were all spent.

Sunday was just another laid-back and relaxing day as the head cold was still there (no AM run for me). Cleaned out the garage before heading off to Church in the morning, ate some Mexican chow with some friends at lunch, played some Halo3 and then basketball with Ian, vac'ed and cleaned Deb's Camry, tore down the Blue, played some poker with the boys, got home to find Deb made some chocolate chip/mint cookies (YUM!), watched the end of Giants/Eagles, and then called it a day. Great weekend of nothingness and relaxation.

My brother has a unique way to finding unusual food products and it is generally focused around the MASS QUANTITY of a particular item. Barrel of cheese puffs and pork rinds, gallons of whole pickles, and the list goes on and on. This past week he added the below item which to me has topped the list; its the Yard-O-Beef summer sausage 'club' that is slowly being snacked on. The picture actually does not do it justice.



As mentioned before, the Blue is in pieces and slowly being cleaned, lubed, and brought back to life (finalized around Jan 1). I do this every year to keep me focused on unfocusing on riding. By the time January rolls in I am dying to ride and feel rejuvenated and fresh; ready for another 11 months of riding and racing. Time of mental recovery is important as in the past I continued to ride year round (easy to do when in South Texas) and by May or so I am fried and ready to sell all cycling products like THIS guy. This doesn't work for everyone as a handful of buddies are already burning up the trainers/rollers in preparation for 2010, but I know what works for me and December time off is it. I still run four to five days a week (a minimum 1 hr per) and hit the strength/core work several days, but just not on the rig. That being said I do keep my mtb in the ready in case someone wants to knock out an 'epic' (sorry Scotty, had to do it to you) to Syllamo or Berryman...

No comments:

Post a Comment