Saturday, December 26, 2009

Careful What You Wish For

Deb and I said several times how we would like the kids to have a white Christmas and they did, but what is following in awesome (if you don't need to get on the road)! Since we arrived it has snowed close to 36 inches and it is supposed to keep coming down tonight and tomorrow.

The Appleby Lodge is a great place to be snowed in. Plenty of room inside (family stuff on the main level, Xbox 360 fest in the lower area, and Jake snoozing the day away upstairs), tons of toys (bobcat, ATVs, and snow mobiles) in the garages, and all the snow outside to keep us having fun.

Yesterday afternoon and evening was all about kicking back and taking it 100% easy. We played tons of games, watched some NBA action, and chowed down on some of the best ribs I have ever had. Jim had them in a smoker all day with a homemade rub; I felt sort-of bad for topping them off with some Gates Extra Hot (I do love me some Gates sauce).

Late in the evening Jake and I donned the battle gear and embarked once again in saving the world from tyranny (COD Modern Warfare); around 2am we called it a day (night actually).

I slept in pretty late this morning until Ian woke me wanting to play. Got up to find it had snowed all night and was still coming down tons. After a quick breakfast and espresso (from my new Christmas present from Deb) Jim, Ian, Deb, and I layered up and headed outside to see how much snow actually fell (is falling).

The easy answer to the above inquiry is A TON. Jim said its the most he had ever seen in his years here. Jim fired up the bobcat and started to clear off the drive while Ian, Deb, and I played. The snow fall (not in just drifts) were mid-thigh on me (waist level to Deb and over for Ian). Ian knocked out a couple snow angels before he and I got to helping out with shoveling the entry way. Later on Deb and Ian whipped up a sweet mini-snowman.

Jake slept in until close to 2pm and loved every minute of it.

Deb's sister (and family) are trying to make it to Spearfish today (started yesterday evening from STL), but looks like they won't find open roads until tomorrow sometime. We had a rough trip, but they are in the middle of a WHOPPER!

We are pretty much taking easy the rest of the afternoon and going to keep warm and cozy. Enjoy the photo and clip dump below:






No comments:

Post a Comment