Thursday, December 10, 2009

So What Now... Forest Gump'in It

With 'cross 09 in the rear view mirror I am turning my attention to a some light running (bigger miles, just low effort). As mentioned before Jake and I are running the SwampStomper (16miler) in Memphis mid-January and I am toying around the idea of adding the Sylamore 50k or taking the boy to KC for the PsychoWyco 20miler both in mid/early February (that is if I find my running legs before then). I have ran a couple days a week during 'cross season with the longest a 45 minute effort, but I suspect as usual it will take a week or two and I will be cruising a couple hours at a time.

Prior to '09 I had used early winter to get in easy base running miles for upcoming adventure races, but now that I am staying clear of that nonsense I am tossing the bike aside for a month (or more) and lacing up the runners simply because I love running in winter; especially trail running. A couple years back I logged a ton of miles (no speed work just a lot of miles) in prep for my first road marathon and 50k trail race and they both turned out pretty good. Last year when 'cross finished I donned the sneaks and took Jake to his initiation into trail running so I held off the longer races and he and I did a 1/2 marathon and the SwampStomper 25k. ***Picture top right is Jake and I at the Run for the Ranch 1/2. Picture below and right: Jake had no idea of the rewards of trail running (SwampStomper '08) when Cynthia laid a big one on his cheek. Careful this year Cynch as he just might turn to you at the last second***

This year Jake asked if he could knock out a marathon over winter break and although his mileage has been solid (and I'm sure he could do it easily) I just refuse to have his 16yr old body pound the asphalt that distance. I see nothing good coming of that. So we will stick to the 16miler in January and then have him turn his focus to the shorter stuff on the track for spring.

So the plan was to finish state 'cross on Sunday, take a couple days off and lay low, and then dig out the running legs for the back of the closet and see how they fit. It's now Thursday, freezing cold outside (and nutty windy) and I am trying to find the courage to face the early morning jaunts. Looks like I will move to the dreadmills at SBU until the temps get above 30*. This Saturday morning Jake and I are meeting a group and trail running at Busiek.

Monday was a home SBU b-ball game (another win). Sat with Wes and Marla and enjoyed the evening.

Tuesday I played some basketball at noon. After work Ian and I had basketball practice (while Deb paced it out with Marla at SBU) then came home to some home-cook'in chili (good stuff). I hopped out to the shop and started breaking down bikes and doing a little rescue services on Coach Bandy's Cannondale (or what's left after running it over with his truck). A buddy of his donated an old Barracuda rig and I am swapping over some parts from the C'dale to the 'cuda.

Yesterday after work I went with a buddy to Joplin for an SBU/MSSU basketball game. Had good conversation and the game went SBU's way so overall a solid night. Sounds like Ian and Deb caught some Christmas shows on the tube while Jake did his Focus thing.

Rest of the week is pretty low-key and looking forward to several non-travel weekends hanging out with the crew.

3 comments:

  1. What an adorable couple. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they are and I can tell Jake is loving every moment of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering why he asked me a couple months ago if we werre doing SwampStomper and if JB and Cynch were going... and now we know why.

    ReplyDelete