Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Weekend Wrap Up

Friday - early to work means early departure for a solid afternoon ride. 2:15 or so hours solo meant for solid tempo riding (a little faster than of late). Got off on more gravel/dirt roads which was a big mistake as they are still sloppy from the raising freeze; it will be some time before they are 'fun' to ride again as now they are simply sloppy work (same thing for the Frisco Trail). The mtb is still working out fine, but it is starting to wear on me riding it on the road so much. On the up side, I am getting plenty of resistance and weight training on the flats and climbs. Feb 26th is the ETA on the Blue hitting Georgia and it can't come soon enough.

Friday evening Deb, Ian, and I went over to BHS and watched the boys basketball game. It's fun going as we see many friends and most of Ian's teammates are there and they all hang out and watch the action (OK, not all watch and it drives Ian nuts as he actually watches).

Saturday - Snagged a Brenda's late breakfast with Deb and Ian (Jake spent the night with a friend) after we all slept in (I should turn pro). Nate Bethell and I hit the roads around noon for 2:30hrs of tempo in the afternoon sun (actually got to 58* and it honestly felt like a heat wave). When I got home Ian and I went over to the new baseball training facility in Bolivar called Home Runs Plus and got some instruction from the owner (a guy I played basketball with in high school from my home town). Nice to have this place in town as they have indoor batting cages and elevated pitching mounds. I already scheduled Ian for some 1-on-1 instruction this week as his competitive ball team for the spring/summer has tryouts this coming Monday. He is a lock for the selection, but having some additional instruction is always good. Played some poker with the 'regulars' on Saturday night and was able to squeak out a win. Got home and divided up the winning to the boys.

Got three days in a row of 2+ hours per and I am feeling really good about my fitness for the end of February. I am not interested right now in rides longer than 3hrs as I have only 1 race all year that will exceed it (Syllamore's Revenge) and that is simply for fun and not a race I plan for 'competition'. March will begin to get some speed and concentrated strength/climbing as the mtb races start. I would like to be at really good fitness in May and early June as that's when the crits come into play so I keep the reigns pulled back on doing too much now.

Sunday - Rain and cold so no riding plans and a bunch of laziness abounded. Ian, Deb, and I spent some of the afternoon as the gym while Jake had youth groups at church. Sunday evening was full of Amazing Race, Olympics, Scrabble, and more nothingness (sweet).

Monday was a routine Monday. I jumped on the trainer (20* wind chill outside) for 1:10hrs and got in a great high spin workout while watching the first part of Law Abiding Citizen (LAC) -good flick and highly recommend it. Got home from work and found Deb had whipped up another great Chicken/Pasta dish that the boys and I devoured. It is amazing how she finds time to work full time, take care of all of us, crank out awesome dish after dish for eats, and keeps her sanity...

Deb headed off for a girl's movie night at a friends so Ian and I hit the gym while Jake knocked out some homework and watched the first part of LAC. Got home, helped Ian study for a test, watched the ending of LAC with Jake, got E-ball tucked into bed, wrapped up the night with Jake, then turned in for the evening after Deb got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment