Monday, February 1, 2010

It's Chilly Out There (not exactly a news flash, I know)

Run down of activities since Thursday.

Friday - Got early word from Blue that my rig was in need of replacement (warrantied) and they were checking inventory to see if they had my size in stock. Crossing my fingers they did...

Snow and cold got school closed mid-day and cancelled Ian's evening ball game at The Courts so we hung out at the casa. I passed on an outdoor or trainer ride as I just didn't feel like pedaling so I caught 2hrs of basketball at noon. Ian and I hit the SBU gym Friday evening and it was packed as I guess in a heavy snow dump and living in Bolivar there isn't' too many choices for a college student. Once back home Deb and I broke out the scrabble board and we have been going at it ever since (she is up 5-3; no big surprise there). Jake had a buddy spend the night and they hit the movies (Book of Eli - which Jake really liked). We were all up way too late...



Deb is starting (after 22yrs its about time) to rub off on me so Saturday was another 'sleep in' kind of morning since not too much was going to happen outside. Once up and around Deb and I took the boys (to include Jake's friend) to Brenda's and enjoyed too much breakfast and coffee. Nothing like a local diner and eggs, hash browns, and biscuits and gravy for less than $4!

The temps online made it out to be brutal outside, but Dale and I jumped out for a couple hours on the Frisco Trail and it really wasn't THAT cold; most of the ride was without gloves and jackets open. Maybe it was because we were only averaging 6mph in 6" of snow while trying to ride a straight line with the ice underneath. It was probably the least amount of distance ever covered for the amount of effort it took - absolutely a great time. (Pics and video are coming). On the way back we opted to hit some open roads and that's when we started feeling the sting of the air.



Saturday evening Deb, Ian, and I watched the SBU men's basketball game. SBU won, but lost their All-American player (probably for the season); bitter-sweet. After Ian conked out Deb and I were back at the Scrabble game.

Sunday morning we all hopped up and went to church, came home and Deb finished her 'pot-luck' donation (baked ziti - always good) for Jake's Cross Country Banquet at the high school. They had a big turnout (bigger than the academic banquet the week before - sad) and the season highlight video and awards were great. Jake was voted the boy's team MVP, Iron Liberator, and Team Leader/Captain along with getting recognized as the Runner-Up Conference Champion, 2nd Team All-District, and a State qualifier (he walked out with an arm load of swag).





On a side note - you can't give Ian and I a camera and time to kill without getting the following:



The below picture is from last weekend's Academic Banquet:



After the banquet Dale and I got in a little over 2hr ride northeast of Bolivar. The main roads were all clear, but the side one's were still 75% covered with snow and ice. Good ride until the last 20 minutes as the sun was dropping, the temps dipping (quickly), and I didn't have heavy enough gloves. Dale swapped me out mitts as we got close to his plantation and that made the ride home bearable. ***It was not foggy out, but my lens was fogged up from being in my back pocket***



The rest of the evening included a mix of the Pro Bowl (with Ian), working on a virus ridden computer, and Scrabble (with Deb).

Fitness wise January was a great start to 2010. Running the 16.3 trail race was solid with Jake and the switch from running to riding went well. January was committed to simply getting back on a rig (after a month off) and finding the feel of pedaling; that task was more than accomplished. February is time to keep the base building with a little mix of intesity and quite a bit of strength work. No races for this month so it's all about riding consistent.

Got word this morning that Blue has no frames in stock and they put me on the front of the line to get one coming off a Feb 26th shipment - fingers crossed. These folks are great and easy with which to work. My mtb is working out fine and don't figure it has slowed me down (figuratively) with my early season training especially riding in the conditions of late.

This week looks pretty routine - NICE.

No comments:

Post a Comment