Friday, February 26, 2010

Weekly Report

I was able to sneak in a 1:45hr ride outside Tuesday at noon as the temps were pretty decent. Our evening turned out pretty busy as we picked up one of Ian's basketball teammates then made an early trip over to practice as I was meeting with a high school girl to give a quick evaluation of her jumping skills. (background: I was a jumper in college and have coached high/long/triple jumping for the high school team for the past two years and will continue this year). After the eval it was practice time; I love the boys on our team as each one works hard, understands instruction, and applies both. It will be fun watching this core group of kids grow up.

After practice Deb and I took Ian over to a new baseball training facility in Bolivar called Home Runs Plus. It is owned and operated by a guy I played basketball with in high school at Marionville along with an SBU ball player. While basketball has four more weeks before wrap up Ian has baseball tryouts for a competitive team next weekend. While he is a lock to make the team he still needed some help with his batting (fielding and throwing are nutty good thus he always plays third base - cannon for an arm) and the guys at HRP are great. With a couple of significant alterations Ian is a night and day better batter.

Ian has a frustrating issue with his parents as we let him play one sport at a time and refuse to have him in too many activities at once (we did/do the same with Jake). He is equally talented for football as he is baseball and basketball but it falls during the end of one and the beginning of the other. We give him the choice and he sticks with basketball and baseball (every time), but many of his friends play all and it is tough for him to watch. As it is now we practice once and play once a week and if he adds football then it becomes a four night a week deal and that is too much for his little body (and mind).

After HRP we scooted over to watch the last home SBU basketball game of the '09/'10 season. The Bearcats are still in the hunt for a regional playoff spot, but are playing far off of years past.

Wednesday was a chance to catch our breathe as Jake went off to his church youth group, Ian and I hung out at home and did a bunch of nothing, and Deb got in some 'Marla' time as they worked out at SBU. I got in a solid 1:45hr trainer ride before work and watched The Taking of Pelhem 123 (I liked it). At noon I played an hour of basketball at SBU and found my ankle was at around 75% (while wearing a brace) which was enough for the equivalent of a light interval session.

Thursday was a 'rest' day from the bike, but not from basketball as I had an intramural game at SBU at 10pm (don't they know I am old...). Our team is pretty similar to the one that has won the football championship for the past three years and our b-ball team is not short on talent. Five of the eight players were starters on either DI or DII teams - nice. The earlier evening was pretty routine with Ian and I hitting the gym for a shoot around while Deb and Jake made a grocery run.

Going to try to slip in a ride at noon today, but might not happen. A have had solid riding/training as of late and a couple days off the bike might be just what the body needs.

Speaking of bikes... today my frame should hit Georgia and if all goes correctly will be shipped off to me by COB. The Blue folks are great and are throwing in some 'extras' for my patience. Hopefully this time next week I'll be rolling on it and the mtb will returned to mtb trail usage.

Deb and I are heading out this weekend for our church's annual marriage retreat in Branson after Ian's basketball game in SGF this afternoon. While 'sessions' are held on a time schedule Deb and I have always thought the 'retreat' is more about 'she and I' time and less of listening to someone tell us how to do it (I am always amazed on how so many people depend on someone else telling them how to be married). We usually make most of the sessions, but don't mind walking in late or leaving early. Deb and I have a great marriage/friendship and I fully understand it's the result of her and less of I (since most of my readers know us personally I guess I didn't really need to explain this). Ian is staying with g-ma and g-pa Jones and Jake will have a Risky Business weekend (house to himself).

No comments:

Post a Comment