Sunday, April 11, 2010

Weekend Wrap Up and A Call From The Boy

I am tired of the trainer only after 3 rides. I don't mind riding it during the brutal days (wintery temps), but when it's high 70s and beautiful outside it kills me to throw a leg over the stationary rig. Enough whining...

Friday I jumped on the trainer for a little over an hour while watching Ninja Assassin (not a bad 'trainer' movie, but not a regular rental). Kind of tricky with the arm, but I think I have a couple positions worked out to minimize discomfort.

Friday afternoon I hooked out of the office early and headed to SGF to take in the Hillcrest Invitational. This is a huge boys only meet (32 teams) and Jake was running the open 800 (they are limiting his events not to flare up the leg - good plan). I love quality track meets (about as much as a good XC) and this one didn't disappoint. Deb and Ian joined me mid-meet and ScottyD (collegiate runner) showed up to watch the 3200m a little later. No one expected much from Jake as he had been back to running only 4 days with a week before totally off. We were all stunned when he ran a PR and won his heat (4 heats all together). He finished in the top ten, but just out of the points. The event of the night was the 3200m having several kids heading to D1 schools taking to the track. Lee Summit West Colon put a spanking to everyone with a 9:16 (meet record); the kid was on fire! I ran into Colon after the race and he was pretty stoked as he was aiming for 69sec qtr splits and he hit each one (as a junior he was the 5A state XC champ and ended up in the top five or so this past year).

We wrapped up the evening with some Braums ice cream and headed home. Jake was in a good mood when he got home until he realized the following morning he was taking the ACT (had to be at the school at 7:45 - better he than I).

Saturday morning Deb and I got up early and saw Jake off, then back to bed for us. We took in a Brenda's breakfast (while my buddies were probably all out riding - JERKS) which always starts my day off great. Deb got in a solid bike ride with Marla when we got back while Ian and I hit the agri-store for mulch, humus/manure, and various flowers for the shrub beds. At 1pm Ian and I went up to SBU and caught some new basketball recruits play. Back to the casa and the work began. All the flowers put in and mulched, garden tilled, blackberry plants prep'ed and new hardware installed for the grill. Deb and I started around 2pm and ended up going until almost 7pm.



Got the toilet reset in the bathroom and all that is lacking is getting a new faucet set (ordered and waiting arrival) and putting the sink (pedestal) back in and the remodel job is done. The new wallpaper, fixtures, and tile worked out nice. The rest of the day was nothing but laying around until nightie-night.



Over-worked my arm Saturday and woke several times with it swollen and hurting. I have to have better discipline in taking care or I will continue waiting to ride outside...

Sunday morning it was all about Roubaix and I might as well pedal while setting in front of a laptop; ended up with a little over 2hrs. FC continued with being FC and Belgium squads were shut out. While it was incredible what he did I thought the last 100k of the event was a real yawn'er. I love watching the races with the Flemish commentators as I have no clue watch they are saying, but it sounds super smooth. I did get a kick out of one commentator saying 'Tom, we have a problem' (in English) when FC flew the coup and TB was at the back.

Headed to church to finish out the morning then ate some Mexican with some friends of ours. Back home for a quick nap then outside to finish up what yard work did not get finished the day before. Deb got some spinach, cilantro, and basil planted in the garden while the strawberries are looking great for this year. Deb was feeling industrious and knocked out tons of work on the windows and I have to say they look great. Back in the house for Amazing Race and some light house work and the evening was done.

Monday was a pretty routine day as I put a Settler's of Catan butt-whooping on Deb at lunch and then was cruising over to Ian's practice after school when I got a call from 'The Boy' (Jake), which was out of the norm as he should have been in practice. I was immediately thinking 'crap, he injured himself and I need to go get him', but instead he asked if I would meet him at the YMCA field (where the XC team does repeats) to get him through a tough speed workout since he was doing it alone (coach is keeping him off the track as much as possible)... I had the truck turned around heading his way before he could finish asking. This was quickly making my day (who am I kidding; my month!!!); my boy wanted me to help out.



He had a pretty nasty workout which included (all in meters) a 1,200, 1,000, 800, 600, 400, 400, 600, 300, 200, and a 150 all at 1mile race pace. He is showing me quite of bit of dedication or determination as he is doing 60% of workouts alone and that is tough mentally. Glad to be there for him to provide whatever encouragement I could.

The rest of the evening included Deb getting in a power-walk with Marla, grilling pizzas (the best), 1hr on the trainer (high rpm and big gear mix), Settler's with Jake (Deb took her first win and Jake gets shut out again), and a couple Monday night shows before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment