Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A&B Short Track #4

So another installment of the A&B Short Track (no longer dirt crit) took place yesterday at the Dry Sac and boy do they mean DRY. It's been quite a while since we last had moisture and the trails are super loose and slick (in a dry kind of way).

Dale and Ira were out of pocket so Nate jumped in with me in the 'A' race. I should note for Nate's sake that I coerced him into the A event even though it has been six (yes, 6) years since he was last on a mtb, let alone any type of single track), but he is a trooper and toed the line. Average turnout even with the cooler temps (still can't believe how many folks are not showing up) with J Brackett the noticeable absentee (2 second places so far). Cale and Mark were there so the rest of us were racing for 3rd.

Sarah and the crew laid out a change of the course which was 85% single track with the majority of it being pretty tight and technical and each loop was super short. I pre-rode and immediately knew I was in trouble as my lack of handling skills is VERY noticeable, but alas it will only help my 'cross handling so there goes nothing. My only saving grace was the finishing portion (open terrain with slight incline) which was just enough for my fitness to offset skill.

Off the line I battled a guy for third place heading into the single track and barely snuck in a the last second. My plan was take the tight stuff at my speed and make other wait behind and punch ever open section to ensure no one could come around. This was working until the end of the single track on the first loop with a guy jumped me on the single track and bullied his way around; no big deal as that's racing and what I would have done if I could ride tight single track smoothly. He opened a quick gap (pretty huge pretty fast) and Skip was right on my butt. As we hit the open section I quickly made ground on the guy who passed me and noticed he was riding a single speed, but didn't pass before the single track. Again he opened a big gap as he was pretty fluid (and I was not), but once again I closed it up on the open section, passed him with a solid effort, and never saw him close again. Skip was keeping things interesting, but every lap I was able to put a little more time into him as I got more comfortable with my lines. Ended up finishing 3rd with a decent gap over 4th and 5th (heard they had quite the duel) while Cale took with win and Mark 2nd.




Fun night, but not my kind of course at all and I am hoping they change it up a little next time; either way the race is doing what it's supposed to 1) give me an effort training session (each night was been at least 45 minutes) and 2) improve my handling skills.

Hoping this rain we are getting today will settle some of the trails and make for faster flow.

Really like getting in a solid workout in the AMs before racing in the PM; body is responding nicely.

Not sure what the rest of the week holds fitness wise, but looking to spend some time on the rollers this evening while it continues to rain (finally) outside.

A couple things on a side note: 1) MWI 'cross skinsuit arrived today and it is sick (goodly sick) and I can't wait for the temps to dip some so I can rock that bad boy, 2) picked up some FSA K-wing carbon bars from ScottyD and they are incredible. Had no idea how much more stiff (and lighter) over my old FSA wing aluminum, 3) tubulars are glued up and I have to say I did a super clean job, but will report on the quality aspect once I get them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment