Friday, September 10, 2010

7 Days to 'Crossmas...

Hermann is next weekend and kickoff to my favorite time of year. I looked at a couple 'cross race options for this weekend, but Wichita is too far to drive (4.5hrs) this early on and Pride, Inc in norhtern STL is close to 4hrs to I'll wait another week... sigh; it'll be here soon enough.

Wednesday evening I jumped out for a quick 'in the dark' spin through the Bolivar suburbs (yes, that makes me laugh also) between showers. Deb knocked hers out on the trainer and I just couldn't bring myself to let the threat of sprinkles keep me inside. Felt good to spin the legs out after Tuesday evenings race and a solid basketball 'interval' session earlier in the day. I'm a big fan of riding in the semi-dark (Bolivar has pretty good street lamps - sans oil) and do it quite regularly.

Thursday was a rest day so noon basketball was played at a moderate pace and truly doesn't count as much. Spent the evening getting NetFlix linked up with the xbox360 and no have access to tons of flicks in an instant. This winter's trainer time is set (sorry Redbox).

Jake's XC team competed in Carthage, but coach held him out (and probably the next couple) as his chest isn't getting any better and has appeared to maybe be worse. Jake is still keeping positive in support of his young team and we aren't sure how this will end up. He got home a little after midnight and was dreading getting up early with his Ounce of Prevention crew. OoP is a small group of high schoolers who perform various skits/acts in educating middle/elementary kids about the dangers of drugs. It's a good group and he takes it seriously.

Ian's school is going well so far and he really likes his teacher. He has plenty of homework every night and is quite diligent about it. He recently got named to the Principal's Counsel from his class; he was proud.

This AM's ride was nasty in a muggy luke-warm water kind of way. A rain came through in the early AM so I was going to hold off until the afternoon, but I check the forecast and it is estimated in the high 80's AND STILL HUMID so I took the cooler (73*) option. Stayed off of SBU's courses as they are soaked and I really don't want to rut any of it up and take the change of being 'banned' in the future so I opted for the 'Tour De Bolivar' 10 mile loop and did it four times. Wanted to keep a solid steady tempo without making it a effort session so I kept it right at 20mph average which is decent for as many turns and turns and turns as it has (like a longggg crit loop). I was soaked from humidity and sweat immediately. Good to get that done early and not hanging over my head all day.

Hitting the pool this PM for some laps; been about a week since my last dip.

BHS football Friday with friends is on the docket for this evening; always fun.

Saturday Ian has his first soccer game so the AM is pretty much shot except for a lite run with some hill/stadium work in the early hours. Interval 'cross workout in the afternoon at SBU (should be dried up) with full sand pits/barriers/stairs thrown in. We are just a week away to tip-off and the sword still has plenty of sharpening to go.

It's been raining plenty in SWMO as of late and I am loving it; especially because our lawn was aerated and over-seeded the day before it all started and it's been moist ever since (water bill will not suffer). I am amazed at how fast things have 'greened up' after being so brown and dead in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment