Tuesday, September 21, 2010

'Cross Clip & Dirt Crit #6 - Fast and Furious

Cross Vegas on live stream HERE tonight. This is a good pre-show...



Super small group tonight at A&B's short track/dirt crit #6, but with Cale and Mark G there I was destined once again for a third place (guess I ruined the ending). Tonight's course was 0% single track and a bunch of open riding which is right up my alley, but some heavy legs from this being my second workout of the day (AM 40min run with stadium climbs) and some sludge from Saturday's effort (and no sleep that night) had me off a bit and unable to really get on top of the high end speed. The speed and effort tonight was much more intense than other races (for me) during this series as there was not really anywhere to recover; just constant pedaling and effort. A&B let me demo a Specialized 29er, which I really liked and was perfect for tonight's loop. Stayed with Cale and Mark until 1/2 thru the second lap when I went to the lead in a tighter section hoping to keep them riding a little at my pace, but that didn't last too long and Cale dropped us quick on an open road climb then later Mark gaped me on some lite twisty stuff by the river. Kept Mark in my sights for most of the evening, but with two to go I backed it off as there was no way to bring him back and 4th place (Skippy) was a ways back. Cale #1, Mark #2, and 3rd for me again.

Deb and Ian made the drive down with me and it was fun having them cheer me on (and take some video).




Next week is the finale and I will miss not having these Tuesday night sessions as they have done a great job of forcing race pace and extended efforts in prep for 'cross racing. Most of all I think it has greatly improved my handling ability as I rode with much more fluidity at HUtL.

On a different topic, the below is a little montage of what Ian and I do most evenings for at least an hour. Not in a million years would I have guessed I'd try to find reason NOT to go to the gym as he is constantly dragging either Deb and I out to play. My 'little man' has a drive in him that it pretty rare (remember he is only 9!!!).


Jake's back to running this week and so far he says it's rough going, but he is sticking to it. This AM he was out at 5am doing a 3k time trial then 3 x 1mile repeats... alone. It is the coolest time of the day and the best environment for his lungs to function. He needs a frost or at minimum cool air to settle in for him to have a shot and districts and state. His dedication and discipline blows me away at age 17 (heck, at any age) and if he never runs competitive in college the life lessons he is learning from being a team leader, knowing how to win, and now knowing how to be humble and keep plugging it priceless.

The following pertains no political agenda on my personal beliefs, but is absolutely hilarious in regards to public speaking and I can't stop watching it. Krebs posted it a week ago and it keeps getting more funny every time I watch it (needless to say he does not get the nomination - shocking); if I am his opponent I would defer my time to let him continue:


No comments:

Post a Comment