Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Short Track #5 - Cool Temps Technical Course...

Low turnout for race #5, but quality folks toed the line (minus J Brackett and Skip) with the addition of local boy and Jelly Belly pro Brad Huff (kid is fast on knobbies also). Cool temps and a light sprinkling during warm ups made for a tacky course, which they kept the same as last week - tight and technical with one 300 meter open area at the end of each short loop.

Broke out the Blue ('cross bike) for warm ups and although I had a decent flow going decided to opt for the mtb as the drizzle made for potentially a couple slick rock areas which I would prefer not to dump my girl. Moved my Hutchinson Piranha's to tubeless so pinch flats are not really an issue.

Ira made the drive down (rest of the Bolivar crew out of pocket) and I knew this course would suit his handling abilities much better than mine, but on the start I slipped into the single track just ahead of him and bounced my way through the first loop (in 4th as B Huff, Cale, and Mark G disappeared). Ira called dibs leading the second loop which helped me see 'the fast lines' and my flow immediately increased. Jumped around him at the end of the 2nd loop and stayed away for the rest of the ride finishing 4th (Brad took the win, Cale second, and Mark 3rd) and Ira 5th.

Bike driving is getting better and better every week and the 45 (or so) minutes of efforts are hitting the mark for an effort session.

Three more races to go and word has it next week is a 'roadie' loop with very little single track so it full on Blue; will be nice with Hermann coming up a handful of days later. Not sure how I am sitting in the overall as Mark dropped one race due to mechanical so I might be in 2nd, but 3rd is pretty solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment