Monday, September 13, 2010

Rolling Along as HUTL Draws Nearer

Friday night football was in full effect as we took in a BHS game against Marshfield; Bolivar easily won and the game turned out a bit of a snoozer, but good friends and conversation made the evening fun. Funny, I catch up more with Tom and Sarah at ball games then most other places; they are some of my favorite folks (odd as we have actually little in common outside of kids).

Saturday morning was a little soggy out on the SBU courses, but not bad enough to abandon some interval workouts with Dale, Ira, and Nate. Good session that started at 7:30am. Dis/remounts over barriers and through sand pits felt lite and easy and I felt quick moving the shoulder'ed bike. Morning was over before I knew it and had to get moving to Ian's first soccer game.

Once home we found out the game was cancelled due to too much mush at the YMCA fields (more parking issues than playing) so there was only one thing left to do with our disappointed 9yr old... Brenda's. French toast seemed to bring him out of his misery. Jake was off with his school's science dept picking up trash at a state park so he missed out (he'll do just about anything for that extra credit).

Once back home I introduced Ian to what may now be his all-time favorite movie - Sandlot (the original). Can't believe we never watched that before as it is truly right up his alley. Although he won't admit it he had a huge grin on his face for most all of it.

The day seemed pretty harmless until Deb and I started some harmless conversation about painting the dinning room and then BAM... she ripped off some wallpaper and says "Well, I guess I know what we're doing this weekend." And there it was, crap, off to the store for paint and supplies. I honestly don't know why I was complaining as she always does 95% of all the work and simply leaves me with some high areas and lite trim work - she always knocks it out quickly.

Saturday evening Jake and Deb went out for a bike ride (Deb was smiling as they pedalled off as Ian and I played some baseball catch. The rest of the evening was pretty laid back with much painting and trimming going on while Jake hung out with Andee (he is a big fan of NetFlix instant watch).

Slept in (at much as I can) Sunday morning before heading off for a 45 minute run with 15 mins of stadium climbs thrown in. The morning was crisp and cool and super nice for running; almost made me re-think getting back into ultra-running again... almost.

Off to church and to a local Mexican joint for lunch with my crew. Jake didn't have much going on so we actually got to spend time with him (refreshing).

Headed to the SBU 'cross loops around mid-afternoon and knocked out 2 hours of continuous riding; turning, dismount, remount, turning, turning, and repeat. SBU hasn't mowed in a week or so and some of the grass sections were brutal thick. When I finished it felt like a 4hr ride - cooked. Took my tubulars and did several laps to get the feel of low pressure riding which took a bit to get used to; happy with how they turned out and oddly looking forward to my first muddy race to try them out. Most of the day was spent on the Hutchinson Piranha's (tubeless) which I used at most races last year with great success. Still waiting for my Challenge Griffo XS's to arrive (hopefully by Friday).

Got home in time for some basketball action at the casa with Jake making a rear appearance in the mix. His little bro was impressed as he hit a handful of deeeeep shots. Once again Deb and I were all smiles having a little time with him around - college next year is going to suck HUGE-time). Speaking of 'the boy' Deb found the below on FaceBook (seniors on the XC team):


Sunday night football was the watch of choice for Ian and I as HIS Dallas Cowboys were playing. He disappeared for a bit then came back to show us this:



***Deb often says I've created a monster EGO in this small package and I absolutely have to agree***

More painting and trim wrapped up the rest of the evening before calling it quits. I'll post some pics in the next couple days of the progress.

Not much happening this week as Jake's coach sidelined him from running for 10 days to see if his lungs will recover a bit and so he'll miss his home meet on Tuesday and the Stampede on Saturday. He is taking full advantage of the off time and catching up on tons of rest - good on him. I race the Sac River stuff tomorrow night and then the rest of the week is pretty lite leading up to Hermann. No real expectations for HUtL as I historically have stunk at season openers for the past couple years, so high expectations are a top 10 finish in the 3s on both days, but don't know if that's realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment