Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Headed to Reed Springs last night for Bolivar's first track meet of the '09 season. All in all a pretty good showing for the jumpers I work with, but plenty to build on. Jake had a rough night and needless to say is looking to improve in all events. Next meet is in a week and a half and by then Jake will be flying like regular (unless there is a week long ski trip I am not aware of somewhere in there) I have no doubt.

I'm finding it hard not being 'that dad' when it comes to Jake and his running. Both I and his coaches see so much potential and yet often times it appears he falls short of expectations. 'Expectations' does not mean All-State or All-World athlete, it relates more to the times he posts during workouts when there is little pressure and he flows so freely. I have never been one to pamper (that's his mom's job), but I feel like a dirtball when I tell him the truth about his performances. Deb reminds me of his young age and I hear often that 'it will come around' but I have a hard time applying that to Jake. Yesterday evening I was talking with our high jumper (an 18yr old senior) about the terrible conditions and it being our first meet and Deb smirked at me and lightly asked why I don't give our 16yr old sophomore the same break... she does such a great job of trying to keep me grounded - thanks, Deb. Long and short of it, I am 'that dad' pushing his kids too hard and I have got to figure out how to slow it down. I always tell myself that I outwardly provide support to Jake and vent my frustrations behind 'closed doors', but I know he picks up on all of it and I am only telling myself lies. I wouldn't trade that kid for anything as he is much more of my world then anyone realizes; he is constantly on my mind and I want so much for him to succeed. I just realized the line before summed it all up: "I want"; that has got to change.

Fitness: Got home after 10pm from the meet so pushed the strength workout off, but got it in at noon today. Was planning 2 hr ride today after work, but other obligations are pressing so I hopefully will get in a solid 1 1/2hr tonight (on the trainer - my best friend).

1 comment:

  1. I was a solid world class under achiever running in high school. Don't worry it'll grow on him. Once I hit college & realized I couldn't slide by anymore I got my butt in overdrive. Let him be a kid in high school. Have his coach put him in meets that are way over his head & I bet he surprises all.

    ReplyDelete