Monday, July 27, 2009

Sunday and TdF

Randy W. hopped in the truck with me Sunday morning and we made our way to the Queen City Crit. Randy had never watched a race in person and was interested to see what I ramble on about.

I jumped in the Cat 4/5 race and after a couple surges and attacks in the first 15 minutes I could tell my legs were pretty flat and I needed to concentrate on simply finishing with the group (seems to be a recurring theme). All was fine until 2 laps to go; the pace was quickening, I was sitting around 10th or so, and the Big Shark guy in front of me simply lets a gap open quickly (and then he subsequently set up), and I spent the next full lap trying to cover the huge gap. I came close but with 1/4 lap to go I set up as I was toast. Slightly disappointed I couldn't cover and mix it in for the finish, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Randy and I spent the rest of the morning/afternoon watching the races and having a good time. The race turnout seemed pretty low as the field sizes were small. Too bad SPR can't get bigger turnouts and more events, but since those in KC and STL have local races all the time they don't seem to travel in bulk outside of their respective city limits (but then again the don't really need to).

Jake borrowed a Xbox 360 game from a friend and pretty much disappeared for the entire day. I am hoping he finishes soon so I can have a crack at it.

Deb had a girl's movie night (estrogen ocean) with some friends, but not before she whipped up ANOTHER blackberry cobbler for her man. It's great to see her hanging out more and more with friends doing 'girly' things as I know she has wanted such time like this for quite a while. As small town as Bolivar is it appears to have numerous clickish groups and sometimes hard to crack. She had such good close friends in SA and she is starting to get that here.

With mom off doing chick things Ian and I got the lawn mowed (oh yes, he is quite the driver), continues RipStick'in it, and played a ton of basketball. He has quickly moved to his #1 sport again in anticipation of The Courts in October. This year he moves to a 10' goal so he is having to adjust his shot some. I have always liked how goal height (and smaller balls are used) is lower for younger players and raised as their strength and abilities grow. That way kids can learn to shoot correctly and not 'sling' the ball at the goal. E-ball's ball handling skills continue to progress as his left hand is almost as natural as his right and his cross-overs are not to shabby. He is pretty funny as of late as he likes to 'back me down' in the post.

Ira and family dropped by and I got to see August Brown for the first time. I always forget how tiny are the newborns. He looks just like the rest of the Brown crew (luckily like their beautiful mom). You know for some reason Ira seemed to have a couple bags under his eyes and looked just a little drained... hmmmm, can't figure out why.

Jake overslept this mornings 6:20am XC run, but woke up at 6:30, called coach and found out they were running to the Frisco near our house. After a quick splash in the face he was off in search of his AM crew. I watched as he bolted out of the garage and he looks so light and easy it made brought out a huge smile across my grill. He has yet to miss a single AM run (except those while on vacation) this summer and never complains or gripes. He is constantly impressing me with his commitment to team responsibilities (boys team captain) and his individual development. I have no idea of expectations for this XC season, but anticipate a significant gain from last as he is physically stronger, many more base miles/time, and mentally is understanding what it takes to move to the next level (thanks for Coach Bandy and Dixon). He was going so smooth and strong before his Achilles injury in track and I think he is going to use that disappointment for fuel a little of this years fire (something to prove to a couple of the track coaches who wrote him off). Coach Bandy is a guest speaker at a Log-Rog running camp this Wednesday and it taking Jake (and a couple of his top girls) to run with the group. For those interested the following is his '09 schedule:

Sept 5th - SWCCCA @ East Newton (big event, all SPR and surrounding big schools)
Sept 10th - Carthage Invitational
Sept 15th - Bolivar Invitational
Sept 19th - MSSU Stampede @ Joplin - A 'Can't Miss' event
Sept 22nd - Nixa Invitational
Sept 29th - East Newton Invitational
Oct 13th - Logan Rogersville
Oct 24th - Conference Meet @ Reed Springs
Oct 31st - Districts @ Bolivar
Nov 7th - State @ Jeff City (most demanding course in the state)

What a blessed life I have with a best friend/girl who still makes me smile every time she walks in a room and continually spoils me, one son who's love/skill of running continues to grow, and another who can't play enough basketball. Don't shake or nudge me as there is no way I want to wake from this dream!

TdF is over and in the books. Absolutely impressed with AC winning it on his own, LA's physical ability for a podium finish, Cav's 6 wins (with GH and Renshaw's crazy lead outs), and Wiggin's monster rides. What I am sick of hearing is how disruptive and bad teammate was AC and how LA had to deal with him; from my perspective it was the other way around. Alberto was the clear leader of the team from the moment he won his 3rd grand tour last year and should have had a team dedicated to him instead of constantly dealing with the adversity of LA wanting to reclaim his throne. LA is in for numerous kicks to the groin if he thinks he is going to reclaim his winning ways. Yes he finished on the podium, but both AC and AS are head and shoulders better climbers (and will continue to be) and AS is only going to get better at his TT. Contador could have buried LA on the Ventoux climb if they were on separate teams. So, enough of the 'Lance is such a great team player and AC screwed everyone..." AC was his own team and he still won and as for what he did to AK, he was trying to WIN (putting more time into LA and Wiggins before the TT) and not focused on getting his team additional places. That is my $.02

Fitness: Sunday - 40min crit (hard efforts at time, but overall not a high paced) Monday - 1:30hrs of the hardest basketball I have played in some time (tons of interval-like efforts up and down the court) and PM strength workout in the gym (been a while, but time to get back to work).

No comments:

Post a Comment