Sunday, January 24, 2010

Weekend (part 2)

It is sometimes hard to have serious conversations in our house...



Sunday morning came with some early core work and then off to church. After services we all went over to the high school to attend Jake's Academic Honors Banquet. Deb and I are fortunate to have two intelligent well rounded kids and we stress the importance of higher learning just as I do with athletic advancement. I will admit the 'academic' functions were new to me as I didn't see too many of these (at least from the inside) growing up; my brother on the other hand... It's good to see Jake's core group of friends all in attendance (along with a large portion of the cross country team). Ran across Dale at the ceremony (his daughter Mary was honored as well) and we decided on an afternoon ride.

Dale and I met around 3pm and cruised southeast of Bolivar for 2hrs. The temps we in the low 40s, but the windchill had it feeling in the low 30s (if not lower than that). We found more evidence of the road damage the recent ice and snow inflicted; the county road crews have their work cut out this spring. The below video does not fully show the massive ruts and chaos on this semi chip-n-seal/gravel road (and yes, Dale did hit me with his bike then didn't wait up he just kept pedaling and I had to chase him down).



Dropped Dale off at his ranch and snagged another 30 minutes. I dressed just right with the exception of not enough foot coverage and by the time I hit the house my feet were totally numb. It was a solid 'first week' back on the bike as I ended up with 13hrs of ride time. Looking forward to continue this throughout the winter weeks as deposits in the 'ride bank' now will pay off in April and May. The below is a picture I took on the way back home. It is not as vibrant in this image as I saw in real-time, but it was incredible and I thought worth sharing.

Walked in the door (trying to thaw out my feet) and there was Ian ready to hit the gym for some basketball. By now everyone has realized he and I spend a ton of time shooting and dribbling at the gym and it is driven by this 8yr old who understands (already) that practice and time in the gym is the only thing that will make him better. I DO NOT DRAG HIM TO THE GYM, as Deb will attest he is begging and begging to go (and often more than once a day); I am not shying him away from it in any manner, but it is all him.

After returning from the gym the entire Jones crew headed over to the Kemp's for a movie night - Princess Bride on their new projection TV. I have no idea the dimensions of the picture, but it has to be over 80" (huge). We always have a great time with them.

Back home and everyone hit the hay. Good weekend for all.

On a different subject: Is there any doubt why the UCI banned the Dugast Diablo?!?!?!? Although it might keep spectators just a tad back further... Hoping JP continues with his form and Nys puts on an old fashioned butt whoop'in this weekend at Tabor.

No comments:

Post a Comment