Monday, January 11, 2010

Warmth At The End of The Tunnel...

It has been some stinking COLD weather as of late and I, like many, am happy to see it start to move on out of the Midwest. Forecasts for the rest of the week are in the upper 30s and low 40s (SWEET), but more importantly it is 'supposed' to be 45 Sunday in Memphis for the SwampStomper. Bad news is 50% chance of rain there on Saturday; slip-n-slide course...

The kids were out of school bother Thursday and Friday so each day I snagged Ian and we played some 'noon ball' (basketball at SBU at 12pm). He shoots and plays with Coach Guoit's kid along with one or two more on the side while we run up and down the main court.

Thursday evening E and I went over to a friend's house to watch the college national championship game. Ian was decked out in all his Longhorn's gear and talking the smack. By evening's end it was determined that the #12 on his jersey was no longer for Colt McCoy (hurt and left the game early), but for Earl Thomas (d-back sophomore). Texas lost a tough one and Ian was much better about dealing with the defeat than in the past. It was determined that we will no longer watch any type of playoff game at Randy's house as Ian is 0-3 there (sorry Randola, it's just the way it is).

Friday after work was spent doing a whole lot of nothing at the casa for us boys while Deb went to a wedding. We goofed around watching tv and played some 360 way too late.

Saturday morning we all slept in (way past 9am), moved around slowly while Deb made pancakes for everyone (I whipped up a couple cafe mocha's), then got ready to head to Ian's afternoon game in SGF. We (I say we because I coach Ian's team) started The Courts second session with a win. E-ball played probably his worst half (1st half) I have ever seen, but bounced back in the second to play solid. I like the kids we have on the team. Ian had quite a fan club in attendance with g-pa and g-ma Jones, Cheri and Alexandra, Jake and his 'friend', two of my aunts and one uncle, and my grandma Smith. Afterwards the entire group scarfed down some pizzas and then separated off. We had some Christmas items to return so a couple hours more in SGF then back home.

While Deb grabbed a book and the boys played some video games I hopped on the bike for an hour (on the rollers) and knocked out my first '10 ride (first strokes since XC state in early December). Running has been a good change of pace, but I was glad to ride again. Cleaned up afterwards and caught 'The Hangover' with Deb (funny stuff).

Sunday morning brought church, then lunch, and then Ian and I off to the gym to shoot around for an hour of so. Turns out several dad's had their kids doing the same thing so we all grouped up for several rounds of Two Ball Knock Out and some half-court action. We all had a great time and left nearly two hours later. Jake spent the afternoon with his church youth worship team. The temp outside was on the rise, but I had yet to put on my 'big boy pants' so I snagged another hour cruise on the rollers watching the '05 Giro (El Falco riding with absolutely no support). Shaved my legs and head for the first time in '10 then sat down to a huge bowl of Deb's homemade potato soup (AWESOME!). During the chow fest we watched Little Big Leagues with Ian who thought the flick was great (as we all did). The rest of the evening was super laid back as I finished it off defending the liberties most take for granted on COD MW2 (special ops missions) - you can thank me later.

I snuck out of bed early this (Monday) morning and got in an hour run just to keep them fresh for this weekend's 16miler.

I love racing bikes on the weekends (and it is just around the corner), but wow, I could get used to some relaxing days like we had recently. Deb swears she can teach me the ways of the 'dark side' (I guess that's actually 'dark room' since it relates to sleeping in on weekends), but I will resist and know the early Saturday morning rides will soon be in full swing.

So, that brings me to my plans for 2010 (bike/race related)... I liked last years schedule so much I plan to emulate it again with a couple changes if the early months go well. This year I would like to add the Dogwood RR, possibly Joe Martin SR, Dale is trying to get me to the Mohecain 100 (100 mile mtb race in Ohio), the fall KC 3-day race, and Gateway Cup in STL, but all those probably won't fit in so I'll take it race by race. Looks like I am in for THIS since it is important to support Crusty and MWI.

No comments:

Post a Comment