Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Rollers, Redbox, and Eat Fest '10

This past weekend started the 2010 biking journey with a couple rides on the rollers. So far I have 4 days of riding out of the past 5. I plan to take the first couple weeks at 1-2 hrs per session before really laying in the base work. I am a big fan of rollers this time of year over a trainer as I am keeping HR low and working to get a smooth stroke going again. I am in no big hurry to get outside in the snow and slush (more slush now than snow) even though the temps are climbing; the rollers workouts fit my schedule better right now with it all set up in the office next over from where I type this. I just finished the '05 Giro (El Falco) and usually catch up on all the Red Box flicks in January and February. On the weekends I'll venture out on the mtb and road bike for longer rides, but for weekdays it's all rollers for now.

Very similar to last year I am sticking with shorter events (1-3hrs in length) again with Syllamo's Revenge (50 mile mtb race) as the longest. Tried to fit in the Mohecan 100, but that is the same weekend as Jake's Track & Field State Championships. Looks like mtb'ing in the spring/early summer, then shift to crit racing in early summer/summer/late summer, then to the main focus of 'cross.

Monday was a pretty routine day as Deb and Marla knocked out some fitness, Jake is back to running with his crew after school (don't know if he actually stopped...), and Ian and I hung out at the casa doing a lot of one-on-one basketball (nerf style) in his room.
Tuesday had us at Ian's basketball practice after work and then he, Deb, and I went over and watched the BHS boys' basketball game. Pretty standard Tuesday for us (even snuck in some COD MW2 before bed).

This weekend is the SwampStomper (16mile run trail race) in Memphis and while the temps look ideal the forecasted rain on Saturday will make it interesting. Deb, Jake, and I (sorry Ian, but you'll have to settle for watching football with Uncle Jim) are traveling with an AR teammate and her son (who is Jake's age) and meeting up with a crew from the SWMO area. While it is fun doing the race, Jake and I are really trying to focus on this weekend's main activity - FOOD! Lunch Saturday is World Famous Charles Vergos' Rendezvous ribs and then later that evening is Milano's (one of the best pizzas I ever had). I will float the idea of eating at the Kooky Canuck (see pic of the 7 1/2lbs burger to right) on Sunday, but will have to see who is up for it after a long run... As you can tell Jake and I do not take this run seriously as it's more about getting away with some friends for a good time.

On a total different topic: NBC - please leave Conan on at 10:30pm and move Leno to a different time slot (between Conan and Jimmy F). Leno is OK, but Conan is by far my favorite guy as he is the equivalent of Jim Rome for sports radio; not everyone gets him initially, but give him two weeks and if you still don't like him give him two more weeks... Conan's wit and mix of physical comedy is right up my alley.

5 comments:

  1. Please NBC, replace Conan with Leno. Leno is so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea my great-grandmother read my blog... it must be her as Leno's comedy appeals to anyone 80 and above.

    Looks like you got your wish as Leno is on to take back his show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leno? I want Carson back

    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with Carson. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ribs looked nothing like what was posted on your blog. I want my money back.

    ReplyDelete