Monday, January 4, 2010

Whole Lot of Time/Activity in a Nutshell

Last post took place on our final night in South Dakota with a return drive the following day. Lots and lots has happened between now and then so here you go...

Woke up early Wednesday morning (last week) and did a quick weather check and found western SD through to home was getting snow and freezing rain; might as well make this a bookend trip and have it suck going home just like it did coming out... It was decided that we would postpone an early start and leave sometime around noon with the expectation of stopping in Omaha, NE for the night. After breakfast I loaded up the Durango, which surprisingly had more room coming home (actually saw a little out the back glass) while Ian and grandpa knocked out some snowmobiling (as you can tell by the pics Ian is a huge fan).



Hugs were given, kids loaded, and the crew was off across SD. Roads were clear so it was smooth (and fast) sailing all the way to Sioux City, IA (the below pic is the start of the Badlands, SD).


From Sioux City it was spotty snow pack and icy spots, but nothing too bad. The biggest noticeable change was the temp drops (same as Spearfish, but now with moisture - brrrrrrrr). Everyone was in good spirits during the travel so we kept driving past Omaha and before you know it we made the Missouri line. Freezing rain was falling so the speed reduced drastically all the way home; that's right, HOME at 1:30am (13hrs; 3 1/2 better than on the way out). Funny thing once we got inside was everyone was wide awake and no one hit the hay until well after 2:30am.

Thursday until later that evening we all had no plans so everyone slept in late (and I do mean late). Once up I called around to see if anyone was playing 'noon ball' (basketball at SBU) and sure enough they were. Ian and I headed over for a solid 1 1/2 hours of fitness and immediately afterwards Ira called to see if I was interested in a trail run at Sac River. Got home, had Jake on board, changed into run clothes and we were off to Sac. Cold temps outside along with no running for a week made things pretty slow on the trails (which were a mix of ice and mud). 1+hr of sliding around and it was back to Bolivar.

Jake had a church youth New Years activity so he was out of the house early evening and a little later on Deb, Ian, and I headed over to the Evan's ranchola for a fun evening with friends (another super late night - sigh).

Friday morning came way too early (even though we slept in again) and we all loaded up the Camry for the trip to my parents to celebrate a late Christmas and New Years. Got to their home a little after noon and found my bro (and crew) already there.

SIDE NOTE: I grew up in a home that watched sports and it didn't matter what sport as long as it was a sport. Deb grew up in a home without sports on the tube (I know, Linda you will tell me sports was on from time to time, but believe me in a comparative there were not sports on). Jake doesn't watch sports, but Ian lives on them. That being said the schedule (and the tv station) is set when you come to my pop's farm and let's just say during Bowl season it's on like a DC mayor to crack!

We grabbed some lunch and then watched football. Later we grabbed some dinner and then watched football. After that we opened Christmas presents and then watched some football. Snacked and then watched SportsCenter to recap the day's football. Although this is not far off reality there were times of fun family games and good conversation (and then we watched football). It's always very relaxing on the farm.

Gifts wise I was pleased to see the return of the BEAN camera (thanks mom and pop) and this time I will try to keep from running it over (seems to work better that way).


Saturday was a great sleep in morning and surprisingly the early Bowl games were already playing. It was super cold outside so Jake and I opted to skip a run and watched football. We paused for a super meal (thanks for my bro the pumpkin pies were extra creamy this year - HA) then got back to some football. My bro (and crew) headed out Saturday late afternoon before the Christmas tree was taken hostage (ask me some time and I'll explain, but the visual is way better). We snacked, played some games, Deb read, Jake text'ed, and then we watched football until we turned in.


Sunday morning late wake up found around 4" of snow dropped on top of some slick roads. Pop cancelled their church so we had a lazy morning until it was time to leave. I wasn't looking forward to driving the Camry on icy roads, but the good point was we only had 60 miles to travel not a bazillion.




The drive out of farmville was not near as bad as expected (took my time and drove slow) and we made it to SGF without incident. After a nice family lunch at McAlisters and some returns/shopping it was finally time to head to home. BTW - I hate going to the mall and yes I am that guy on the bench (not in sweats and loafers - Crusty) and I have a feeling soon I will move up to the 'guy in scooter' status; please someone shoot me.

Got home mid-afternoon to find Jake's 'friends' enclosed his truck in plastic wrap with a nice dose of Silly String. I have a feeling some payback is coming...



Unpacked (again) and helped get the house in order. Ian had a buddy over for the afternoon and I headed to SBU for 1:15hr run on the dreadmill (two weeks left to get my legs up to speed). Back to the casa, cleaned up, and did a bunch of nothing until bed time. Finally it looks like we are back on a routine/schedule...

No comments:

Post a Comment