Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Back At It

So finally off my rest week and Monday started the two-week cycle of intensity (still not 100% as that will come in October). Got in a nice 45 min run yesterday, which included 10 x 30sec and 5 x 1min hill repeats. The two best things about that workout is I do this on the SBU XC course which is 500meters from work and (by far the best) Jake's XC team did a workout on the course (they run a home meet there on Sept 15th and are hosting districts there) and during his cool down he told the old man (that's me, Crusty) to cruise with him for a lap. I didn't even bat an eye before I jumped in. That is one of those moments that will last in my memory for some time. Legs felt nice and light during the workout and let me know that rest week worked. Did a little strength training late and called it a day.

Tuesday and on the SBU course knocking out a 15 min 80% effort at 5:30am on the cross bike (yes, that's right Ira I snuck one in before you showed). Ira joined in at 6am and at the end of a 16 minute 90% effort disaster struck... derailleur into the wheels. Luckily the hanger did it's job and nothing was damaged (except for the hanger); even cosmetically. So, Ira hitched me home (he returned and finished his workout) and I will move to the mtb for efforts after work.

Here's no surprise, SPR LBS that carries Orbea does not have a single hanger in stock; oh they can ORDER it for you... seriously, not in stock, not one, probably the #1 replacement part on a 'cross/mtb and 'you'll get it in a couple days'...

Will be mtb'in my workouts until 'a couple days' pass; not really a big deal though as I'll hit my numbers on one rig or the other.

Got in a solid mini-interval session on the b-ball courts at lunch today. That is always a nice total body workout.

The MOLE continues his wicked ways and here's a funny thing from yesterday. Over the weekend I took the advice of a neighbor (desperate to try anything) and dropped moth balls in the runs (went through a big box of 'em). Yesterday I'm am walking across the lawn and what did I see, but a moth ball packet laying just above a small hole in the ground. That sucker took it and nicely let me know it was not appreciated. It was pretty funny. This guy is starting to grow on me and who knows one day we might share a lemonade and tell of war stories from past days... (don't hold your breathe though).

Got out after work and hit the FT on the mtb (only mode of cycle these days) for some solid interval efforts. Waiting for d hanger is not going to slow me down as the mtb worked just fine.

Ian and I knocked out some basketball championship play (he took me 2-1). Beautiful evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment