Sunday, September 20, 2009

Weekend Update

Let's see, where to start...

Friday at lunch Dale and I took my bro out for 1:30 easy spin to loosen the legs up. Great weather made for a good ride. Friday afternoon we shut down the shop early, went downtown and watched the BHS Homecoming parade where Jake (and XC team) ran as a team in it. Rest of the afternoon was pretty laid back. Deb's folks dropped in (staying a couple days) and later that evening it was off to Friday Night Lights (BHS football game). Ian and I stayed for the whole thing while Deb left after the 1st qtr to get back to her folks. Ian got ahold of some face paint and was 'blue'd and gold'd up nicely and was asking if next time he could do his whole body... uh, no (not at 8yrs old)! Some of the guys I sit with at games do a little wagering on halftime scores (I got a free soda) but BHS's kicker missed a 'give-me' point after with 2 seconds left to cost me the 'nacho clause' (if you hit exactly double your original pick you get a drink AND a nacho!!!!!). I was left feeling like the Buffalo Bills (stupid Norwood). Got home and everyone crashed for the night.

Friday's local Bolivar fish wrap had the below which was pretty cool for all of us to see:



Saturday found me up at 5:20am chit chatting with Jake before he left for his XC meet in Joplin (Stampede). He's so busy that I got to get time with him when I can (more to come on that issue). He headed off and I grabbed a little more sleep before helping Deb and crew (she, Ian, her folks, and Marla) get on the road to Joplin. With great debate I skipped this meet as I was heading to Hermann later in the day to race 'cross. I don't miss very many of the boys' events and had a bitter-sweet feeling on it as it's always great to watch him run, but I have been itching for 'cross to start (and the suffering to begin).

Loaded up the Durango with 4 bikes, at least 9 sets of wheels, Scotty D, Dale, and Ira a little before noon and headed northeast. Got word on the road that Jake ran a solid race and was pleased with his effort/time. Good conversation up (3 1/2hr drive). FYI... Hermann is a cool little town, but in the middle of nowhere!

Crusty sent word on the way that life jumped in way and he wouldn't be making the Hermann trip; that happens from time to time.

Got to the course with plenty of time before Dale's beginner race; scoped out the goods. Flat layout with fast grass and one long asphalt section with only two dismounts (short stairs and one sand pit with barriers on each end) and already thinking I could be in trouble as I was hoping for more 'slow down' sections as I knew my 'top end' speed would not hold up to the guys just coming off racing crits. Weather was nice, not warm and not cool, and the rain held off.

Dale got things going in the beginner race and nabbed a solid 3rd. Ira and Dale jumped in the 4 race and did really well. Ira was in the top 5 for most and finished 10th and Dale in mid-pack. After their race Scott and I jumped on for some hot laps and everything felt pretty decent. Moment of truth as I lined up on the front row of the 3 race, looked around, and quickly figured out I was probably the only one over 30 (and yes, I am 41) years of age (funny as one guy actually used the term 'sir' with me). No big deal as it is becoming more and more the norm. Got to the stair run up in a decent position (around 6th or so) and exited about 10 spots behind where I entered as the guy in front of me had some issues and I (along with others) were locked in behind. Felt pretty good moving through the twisty stuff and hit the pavement section with a group of six or seven of us and BOOM!!! The group just took off and I had no answer; that seemed to be the theme for the rest of the evening. Rode a solid course except was losing time on that darn open section every time (something to work on this week and others to come). Finished 16th and never felt maxed out from a HR perspective simply didn't have a 'punch' when needed.


Not to take away from my lack of performance, but our field had some solid competitors to include 2008's Cat 3 State Champ (and a handful of Cat 1 roadies who don't 'cross much). Who knows how the Champ did in other races last year (maybe not enough points to move up), but you would think he would have moved up; not a big deal just interesting.

Scott racing in the LOADED Open race and looked really solid. For as much crap as I give him he honestly is a stud 'crosser and I do listen to his takes on equipment, tires, and racing. Oh, by the way he is addicted to his Storm/Twitter; not in a little way but more like a 'I'll sell myself for more bandwidth' sort of way.

Got home around 12:30am and Jake was waiting up. He and I grabbed some 4th Meal at the Bell and ended up playing stupid CofD4 until way tooooooo late. Got to get time with him when I can. I love this kid (not only in a father/son way) as he is fun just to hang out with.

Sunday morning came entirely too early (was cursing CofD) and we headed off to church for an early Pancake Breakfast and following services. We let Jake sleep in as he needs his 'recharge' day once a week. After church we met up with Deb's folks and Jake in SPR for a late lunch and a little shopping (Deb and Jake walked away with new cell phones). Headed back to Bolivar and had a pretty leisure evening (a little bike maintenance, playing ball with Ian, a little TV, Jake crashing for a long nap). Topped of the night with Jim (Deb's dad) and I beating on Deb and her mom in Spades (at least I won something this weekend).

Jumped up early this AM for a 40min run (with 10min bleacher run ups).

As I reflect back on Saturday's race I am having a new kind of take on the effort/results than before. In the past I would have been greatly disappointed in my placing (and it would have bothered me for some time), but you know what, not really this time. I feel I could (and hopefully will) do better, but I was so much enjoying the 'racing moment' and the event atmosphere that I am not too bummed. Maybe it's the understanding that I am a mid pack kind of guy now, but it's not really bothering me right now. I simply love being back in 'cross season and am looking forward to my weekly journeys to KC and STL for the next couple of months. Next weekend KC.

***No pics or videos taken this weekend by me (or our crew), but will post some when the race promoter puts them up***

Big Props to Shelly Harris - you are now in Rock Star status in my book!

2 comments:

  1. i've come to the conclusion & I told Butthead this Saturday. There has to be pack fodder. Knowing ones place in the pack makes CX a little easier. I just wish my place was closer to the front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True; just got to keep nailing the chicken.

    ReplyDelete