Friday, September 4, 2009

Week Catch Up

XC Fund Raiser - A group of us sold sponsorship to the upcoming Bolivar Invitational (Sept 15th) in exchange for putting their names on the back of a t-shirt we are selling. The original goal was to raise enough sponsor money to offset the cost of the shirts and then the proceeds from their sale would go back to the XC team. Cost of the tees were around $400 and last count I have we raised a little over $1,400 (WOW). This let us not only cover the tee costs, but purchase a couple canopies (with Liberator Cross Country on the banner) so we won't have to borrow from other sports. Several folks came together to make this happen and it really worked out great

Jake's first meet is this Saturday at East Newton (south of Carthage). It is a 'big-boy' kickoff meet as Kickapoo (looks like Thater will go to Arkansas), Glendale, Lebanon, the Hoover kid from Joplin... are all showing. Outside of districts (West Plains is again in ours) and state this is the fastest group Jake will run against. He is focused on a solid time and not overall placing as he understands the quality of runners. I have a speculation of what he'll run, but I am keeping it to myself. I have seen a handful of practices and he looks so much stronger and 'lighter' than years past, but you never know until the gun goes off how he will do.

Wednesday - Dale and I get in a solid 1:45 ride (averaged 151 hr). Really felt the intervals from the day before and the hill repeat run ups from Monday (must be getting old - or have already gotten there as I notice recovery is not as fast as it used to be). Deb, Ian, and I did a quick Sam's trip to SPR to stock up for the Friday Night Feed of the cross country team (we are hosting 40 kids at our casa).

Thursday - Rest day as it felt like I had a dozen things going on and riding quickly slipped to the last priority (never thought I would say that). Got in some lawn work at noon and then a quick trip to SPR to pick up a couple EZ-UP canopies for the XC team (cashing in some of the fund raiser). Deb and I went to the SBU President's dinner before SBU's first home football game. She left early (to start cooking) as my bro and I stayed as long as we could stomach (SBU kept it close at half then got pounded - again). Dale picked up a hanger for me in STL so I got in on and going (thanks a ton). Ian spent the evening at a SPR Cardinals game (and got a fowl ball) with Payton (and folks). Jake hit the bed early (9:30pm).

The Blue frames have come in and are being distributed to teammates... I did say FRAMES right? Turns out complete bikes (like I got) are running behind a couple days and I'm not sure when to expect it. It's almost like being the little Jewish boy at Christmas watching others opening gifts... just a little joke; I know mine is coming soon.

Friday - Ira, Dale and I are hitting some 20 min efforts at noon. Helping cycle 40 kids through a feed line this evening, then getting packed for the weekend as we are STL bound after Jake's meet. Can't decide whether to take the 'cross bike or the mtb (Castlewood is only 10min from Mandee's house, but it is supposed to rain). Deb is taking her bike so she and Mandee can get some riding in. Speaking of Mandee (and crew) her son Tanner, who is Ian's age (and good buddy) jacked his first over the fence homer the other day - SWEET; that was big news in our house.

Just cruised by (I bike to and from work) SBU campus and witnessed a funny event - Annual $5 Bike. SBU gathers all bicycles left on campus from the past year and sells them for $5 (each). Students get there early, put their name on a list, and you get to pick as your name is called. This year there was probably 40 bikes and of all 5 were functional. I stood on the 'sidelines' for a while as kids tried to figure out what was a 'good deal'; simple answer after the functional 5 - NONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment