Sunday, September 27, 2009

Solid Racing Weekend for the Jones Boys


THE HILL... and it doesn't end where the folks in the picture on top are standing, oh no, it keeps climbing on around the corner!!!!

You know me I always go chronological...

Friday after work was pretty low key and pretty much a 'nothing evening'.

Jake's XC meet was at Hermitage (actually Pomme de Tarre Lake Dam Corps park) and he was to run at 10am. I met Nate and Arron Weaver (blog virgin - young guy who leads K-Life in the Bolivar area) couple guys early and we rode out the meet (Nate cut off early and headed back to Bolivar). It was pretty soggy outside and I was hoping to dodge the rain on the 30 mile trip north. We made it a little over 18 miles before we got wet and by the end we were soaked. Deb and Marla (and E-ball) drove up and a quick change of cloths and some time under a heater had us ready for the meet (he and I were freezing). It felt good to get out and loosen up the legs before Sunday's race.

The Hermitage course is a demanding hilly one (especially adding in the mud and soggy conditions) with what has to be the steepest (combined with how long it is) hill climb I have seen in a race (to include Jeff City's state race). Jake has traditionally struggled with hills and I think he broke through a barrier at this race as he powered up (and elbowed a couple kids to get through) like I had not ever seen him before. He race a solid race and finished 3rd overall. He (and us) were beaming. The rest of his varsity team ran their butts off and finished 2nd overall as a team. The girls looked strong as always and finished 1st team overall. Ian had a good post-race snack he snagged from the team.

Saturday afternoon Ian's b-ball team had a practice and later that evening he had a friend over for the night. Deb and I kicked back and watched 'Duplicity' (OK, but not strongly recommended) as Jake went out with some friends.

Sunday morning had me and Scotty D loading up the gear and bikes en route to the De Stadt series opener at KC. Randy W. jumped in with us to check out his first 'cross race. KC is such an easy 2hr drive up and much better than Hermann (in the middle of nowhere). We got up there and found Ira and family; he had just finished up his Cat 4 race and finished 15 (or so) after getting a horrible start. I got on the course for a couple loops before Scott's race at 1pm was the Open (Cat 1/2) and thought to myself 'this could be a good day' as it was a great mix of things to keep the overall speed down a little and the longer sandpit run was in my favor. The Blue felt super solid and the Hutchinson (tubeless set up thanks to Stan's new kits) Piranha's seemed to hook up pretty nicely. Scott's race was again a super loaded field (Tilford/Smith/Butthead...) and by race end he was pretty cooked (still way faster than the rest of us). The temp continued to climb as the day progressed (not good). I lined up front row (thanks to early registration) for the 3s which had a decent sized field. I got my usual OK start and quickly got in a grove and picking off riders. The loop was 1.99 miles long (kind of longer for cross) and our race was 45 minutes long. By midway through the second lap I had moved into 2nd place and was bearing down on 1st (just about 30-40 ft ahead). That is when my lack of a good chain guard bit me in the butt. I am picking one up this week and hoped it wouldn't be an issue this week (but it was). Chain dropped so I jumped off got it back on and was off again. I chased for a couple laps and worked back into 3rd (1st and 2nd pretty far up by now) and then it happened again - chain sucked between the big ring and my 42 and it took a good little while to get it pulled out and back to racing. I had chased so hard after the first incident that I didn't have much left in the tank for another chase (oh did I mention it was the last lap!!!!). I was able to pass two guys and finish 7th. I really felt good and the new bike was amazing; solid, responsive, and super fast. I changed my setup to a more aggressive position than the Orbea and I was night and day how it handled. While it was frustrating not to be able to fight for the win it felt really good to know I rebounded from last week with a super solid ride. Tomorrow morning I order the Pauls!




After a quick stop at the Osceola Cheese shop (affectionately known now as the N1H1 breeding grounds - this funny brought to you by Scotty D) I got home in time to head over with the crew to some friend's house for the opening night of the Amazing Race.

Next weekend has a Saturday XC meet at Halfway (nice local event) and a 'cross race in KC (also one on Sunday). I will probably skip the Saturday 'cross and hit the Sunday one.

Here's a quick link to a little explanation of the My Wife Inc. team I race with. This clip is from the USGP in Wisconsin where the MWI boys had a blast racing and living the 'cross lifestyle.

3 comments:

  1. The make something to shift that chain back on if it comes off.. you might have heard of it. A Front Derailuer? I understand if you havent they are kind of a new fangled contraption.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super job by Jake. I hate those hills myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am using this on my CX machine, but I could not mount it exactly how it needs to be because the derailleur pulley bolt hole is in the way. I had to mount this just above the bolt hole, and tilt the front part of the bracket down. It works great and the chain never popped off all weekend. Make sure you shorten your chain as well.

    ReplyDelete