Sunday, April 5, 2009

Feels Like Spring (Saturday) and Now Its Gone

First and foremost - just finished watching Flanders and Devolder (and QuickStep in general) is a STUD! He has been one of my favorite spring riders for three or four years now. He just goes and goes and goes. What was great about today is he was totally committed to riding for Boonen (who couldn't shake his shadow Pozzato), then for Chavanel once he jumped across, and finally at the Muir he took things into his own hands as he was clearly the strongest up front and solo'ed. I love this week with Gent on Wednesday and Hell of the North next weekend. Picture to the right is his win at Flanders last year - the Belgium national colors are awesome and the US should take note and dump the crap they have worn for the past couple years.

What an great Saturday we had here at the ranch (ok, not really a ranch, but you know what I mean). Deb headed out early to SPR to help family with Maggard's estate sale. I decided to make the most of the morning and tackled several household chores to make Deb's day a little easier when she got home. She does so much keeping us afloat and gets little recognition for how easy she makes our lives. I intended to get a good long ride in, but with it being so nice I moved from the indoors and headed out to get some yard work done. It was really the first nice weekend day without us going somewhere so it was time for catch up. Ian and I got in the first mow of the year and then hit the shrub/flower beds to get them in order. We are supposed to get some freezes this week so I am holding off on putting in the flowers until it looks like spring is fully here. You might wonder where Jake was during all of this and in typical teenage fashion he was asleep until 11am or so. He gets up so early during the week with 5:30am team runs that I don't have an issue with him catching up on the weekends. Deb got home just after noon and she jumped in helping finish up outside. Ian got in several games of basketball with Deb and I, along with throwing the pigskin around with me in the back yard. I was getting so much done and having a good time with the boys that riding was a back thought and not really a priority. As the day progressed I did get out for a good spin with Dale. Got home and watched some Final Four action (UNC is going to be tough to beat).
SUNDAY: What the heck just happened to the nice spring feel around here!?!?!?! I want my open windows back!
Deb (and Ian) finished the living room painting and it turned out awesome. Just a little tone change makes it tie in so well with the kitchen wallpaper and a warmer feel throughout. Just another thing Deb does to make it better for everyone (sigh in a good way - add it to the list of how my life would be lost without her).

Fitness: 2 hr mtb ride with Dale on Frisco. Expected to ride long, but enjoyed the day doing other things of greater priority so no big deal. 3 1/2 hrs on Friday gives me options for the weekend. Pretty chilly and crazy windy out this morning and after church it was raining so another afternoon on the trainer. Worked some bigger gear stuff for 1 1/2hrs while watching Love Guru (not very good).

2 comments:

  1. Hell o the North. Hincapie takes it the true hard man way; solo. The way Roubaix was meant to be won. Pray for rain, wind, & cold to make it even more epic. No one in the current peloton deserves Roubaix more than Hincapie. The cycling gods will look after him this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He'll find a way to lose it again, we all know it to be true.

    I'll go for a QuickStep rider (take your choice), but not Boonen. I know, I know, it's not exactly going out on a limb, but...

    ReplyDelete