Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Monday Recap and Fleche Wallone

I love the Spring Classics and the two best weeks are (as listed) 1) Flanders/Gent/Roubiax and 2) Amstel/Fleche/LBL. The Ardennes bring in a whole new crew to the race scene (more tour types) and they are more the light weights and not the HARDMEN of the earlier races. Tomorrow I am going with Cunego, Kroon, and Sammy Sanchez was possible winners (giving Valverde the snub) with Albisini (Columbia) as my darkhorse.

Not much happened yesterday as it was a pretty routine Monday; Ian had basketball practice, Jake had a rehab workout, and I revived my mtb after this past weekend's mudfest.

Went down after work and picked up Jake at track practice (no workout, just fellowship) and talked a little with the jumpers about tomorrow's meet at Osage. Three of the jumping crew came over after practice and we broke down video of their individual jumps from the Bolivar Relays meet. It really helps the kids to see what I am explaining rather than just hearing the words.

After dinner (Deb's famous-to-us grilled pizza) we headed over to Ian's basketball practice. His team has come so far this year and playing at The Courts is well worth the travel each week. It will pretty much be a staple for the years to come. On a side note: Ian starts baseball practice this weekend with a group of 8yr olds from Bolivar who will play in a SPR league. Deb and I never thought we would be those parents who takes their 8yr old on traveling teams, but he loves these sports so much and excels at each that it is not worth playing in the local YMCA leagues. Ian lives sports so much on a daily basis that he has to catch SportsCenter every morning at breakfast before school or he feels lost. This morning he rushed to the tube to watch the recorded Spurs game from last night (he had a small meltdown when the lost their playoff opener Saturday, so it was a good thing they won game 2). There are numerous times when I am talking with Randy W. or Jim about a game/score and Ian will correct us with the actual stat or score; too funny.

Later in the evening I set the tandem up on the trainer and adjusted everything for Jake's fit for his rehab workouts. He has told me for some time that he was interested in cycling (like his old man) and would rather do cycling work than pool running to keep fresh while injured. What is a cycling dad supposed to say, "no son, I would rather you not partake in my most passionate sports activity in the ENTIRE WORLD"?!?!?!? I picked up my bro's mtb shoes, which are Jake's size, strapped on the HR monitor (so we could tell effort levels), and he rode for 50 minutes. It took 10 or so minutes for him to get fluid, but soon there after caught on. To keep him on his toes (not literally with his tendon issue) for the 800 and 400m events he did 4 x 2min at 170-175 bpm and the rest was around 135. Funny thing; I had Jake wear a pair of my smaller cycling short liners and he thought they felt weird at first, but was singing their praises toward the end of the workout. He ended up putting a pair of his shorts over the top as he wasn't that comfortable sporting the Lycra look (even in just the garage).

While Jake was doing his thing I tore down my mtb and re-greased several parts and dropped in a new rear shifter cable and brake pads. Two muddy races in a row takes a toll and a little TLC now is better than hiking-a-bike later.

Fitness: Played an hour of easy basketball at noon as I was feeling the day before. Plan to strength train at noon today and ride a couple hours on the road after work.


1 comment: