Sunday, May 24, 2009

Anyone Remember Jane Curtain... Weekend Update

First and foremost - totally forgot my camera for most of the following events so limited pics this post. Really bumming me out...

Let's jump right into it... Got off work and hit the lawn mowing/trimming. My grass never looks as good as my bro's place (it's a recurring theme I have learned to live with all my life, but that's a whole different entry) as I refuse to spend the cashola on top notch grass until I get a sprinkler system installed. Maybe in the next couple years. Got cleaned up and we (Jake, Ian, Deb, and I) headed to watch Night in the Museum (part II) which was pretty good, but not the same laughability of the initial. The boys and I managed to destroy three large sodas and two large bags of popcorn (it was my dinner - mmmmm movie popcorn...). Got home just in time for Jake to hit Angels and Demons with his friends (reported not as good as Divinci Code) and the rest of us hit the sack while Jake and his buddy Steven (Scuba) drug back in much later.

Jake doesn't have a curfew as we know he makes solid decisions and his friends are also well grounded; he simply has to call and let us know where he is and the rest is up to him. We have pounded responsibility into his brain for the past 15 years and there if he hasn't gotten the big picture by now he doubtfully will; we just fine tune stuff from time to time. He's a great kid.

Slept in a little Saturday morning (I woke around 7am and the rest got up around 8:30 or so) and once up Deb and I made a huge breakfast for the crew (to include Scub, who spent the night). Bacon, eggs, muffins, fresh pineapple, milk, and OJ (not the killing kind, allegedly...). Good stuff and a great way to start the day with us all together (a staple at every evening meal). Jim came over, jumped in with Jake and I, and we headed to Marshfield for T&F sectionals. Pretty good showing for the most part. My girl tj'er had a rough day, which was hard to watch as she is such a quality kid and my heart broke for her. She did qualify for state in the 4x800 so not all was lost. Our hj'er qualified for state and he (and the rest of us) are pumped. He had some solid jumps at the school record and I expect it will come down this weekend at JC. Watched most of the meet and then headed back to Bolivar.

***SIDEBAR CONVERSATION***One thing I do effectively in life is assess what I do well (and apply myself to these) and understand at what I don't (and avoid these); sounds pretty simple, but it works. I am not a good 'girls' coach. I have not been around them and I don't get what makes them tick; especially teenage girls. They don't annoy me, I just don't get why they cry from time to time for no obvious reason; no biggie. The BHS head track coach asked if I was coming back next year to work with the jumpers again and I commented only if it was an all-boys team. Now, saying all the above you need to know the jumping girls (especially KR) with whom I worked this year were awesome for the most part, but a couple were kind of goofy and 'kind of goofy' is enough to probably keep me from volunteering next year. God knows everyone's limits (since he made us he should know) and knew that I needed a house of testosterone and not frilliness. ***END OF SIDEBAR***

Funny picture of the Deb, Jake, and 'the cat' relaxing. He constantly is laying on his back airing out his fat belly (either that or he gets stuck and can't roll over). After some down time Deb and I jumped on the tandem and met up with Wes and Marla for a ride. Ended up pedaling around 2 1/2hrs. Fantastic evening of weather, great time yakking it up, and cruising around the back roads of Polk County (recurring theme). We went out to the damaged steel bridge as they had yet to see it first hand (which is much better up close) and later we stopped in to see our friend's new home in the final stages of building. It was one of those times you wish it kept going - thanks for the fun W&MK. After a shower and some grub Ian and I watched the Lakers (booooo!) put it to the Nuggets. Deb read for a couple hours in the tube, which is the equivalent of me having an incredible bike ride - good for her. To bed for all at a decent hour.

Sunday morning came quickly and I jumped on the mtb for 1:45hrs on the Frisco. Decent tempo, (but not hard) as I knew what was coming later in the day. Off to church (greeter duty this morning) and home afterwards for some sandwiches. We (the whole Jones' crew) headed down to SPR for a day of random stuff. First stop - batting cages. Ian took most of the swings, but Jake and I took several pitches of our own. I tried to show off some skills by hitting lefty and then Jake showed me up by switching it up also and hitting much better than his old man (nice going, boy). Second stop - Deb's deceased grandparent's house to pick strawberries. We got a ton of them (with much more on the way) as everyone jumped in to help. We also ended up with several more Iris so that will be going in soon on the backside of the our out-building. Next up - Borders where Ian snagged a 'Big Cats' book and is having fun telling all of us fascinating facts. Then on to Buffalo Wild Wings for supper. Last stop - Lowes for a doorbell (only later to find our 'ringer' is on the fritz). Got home and I watched some chess death-matches between Deb and Jake (left before a victor was declared) and then out to the garage for an hour of intervals on the rollers (raining quite a bit outside). Showered up and caught the last of the Magic over the Cavs. Typing now right before bed.

Deb read more of the Outliers (1/2 way through) out loud and I am looking forward to The Tipping Point and Blink next.

So far it has been a great family-time weekend (with still another day to go). It is great that my teenage son still likes spending time with us (and visa-versa); it just doesn't feel right when he is not part of the 'crew'.

Giro comments to come (Levi - please attack just once in your life!!!!!!)...

Fitness: Saturday - 2 1/2 hr spin on tandem with Deb. Sunday - steady mtb tempo on Frisco trail for 1:45hrs. Sunday evening 1hr tough intervals. Monday - 4hr road ride if not raining (if raining: 3 hr solid ride on trainer).

1 comment: