Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day and Other Tid Bits

Memorial Day is not something I go on about or even acknowledge in a special way outwardly, but internally I think deeply about those who protect (and protected) my family and I on a daily basis with little recognition. I could go on for some time on this subject but for now here are a couple simple things that mean a great deal to me: Stand up, shut up, and focus on the Stars and Stripes with your hand over your heart during the National Anthem or other songs dedicated to the USofA and reflect on the cost our country has paid to provide us the liberties we enjoy. Your inability to do this is disrespectful and I cringe when I see it take place. The second is regarding SERVICE - while my sons have the freedom to chose their paths in life they know I wish for them to provide service (probably military, but not necessarily) to their country either before or after college (doesn't have to be a career, but at least a couple years active or reserves). There are multiple reasons for this, but first and foremost is the responsibility each man has to defend what freedoms we currently have. The phase 'freedom isn't free' is preached to my sons often and I believe Jake understands this great responsibility. Deb isn't a fan of the possibility of her kids in harms way (neither am I) and I am OK with that, but it will be interesting to see the paths my two take. It irritates me to see people with such strong slanderous opinions on how things should be done one way or the other or cry and cry about this and that, but have provided no SERVICE (not just military) outside of paying taxes and voting (those are important cogs in the wheel, but come on, anyone can do that). There you go, luckily it is just my 2 cents and I am sure the phase 'grain of salt' is being said as you read. On to the next item...

Monday was a good day at the Jones Ranch although it was not what was planned. The 4hr ride was put off due to rain (started 10 minutes before meet time) and I was already TOO AWAKE to go back to bed. It ended up raining on and off all day. I took lemons and started making lemonade (figuratively). Got done a bunch of chores I had put off and generally relaxed around the casa for most of the day. Jake spent the night at Scub's so he didn't return well into mid-afternoon and when he did show he and some friends hid away in his room playing Risk and watching movies. Deb got 1/2 of the entry way painted (new warmer color to match the new living room tone) and it turned out great. I finished off CofD4 and am looking for my next challenge. Hopped on the rollers for what was supposed to be a 3hr session, but after one I jumped off feeling quite spent (the intervals from the night before still heavy in the legs). Played a bunch of catch with Ian in the yard, staked the tomato with Deb and like I said before generally relaxed. By the way, the garden is looking super good and the fresh cilantro (Sue, cover your ears) is awesome. In the evening Deb, Jake, and I watch Benjamin Buttons, which was oddly good (not great) as it kept me interested the entire time (tough for a no-action flick). Something different was the picture of me on the couch (notice my feet up) and Deb on the trainer for an hour (almost brought a tear to my eye). Her feet are still giving her fits to walk, but pedaling doesn't hurt at all. She likes her clip in shoes (had them for a couple months now) and the tandem and the trainer (she almost looks pro).

After Dale and I drafted the tractor the other day and Dale drafting a dozer on a trailer I have decided to track all the various farm/construction implements in which we draft this summer. Today I got a tow from a round baler (truck pulled) through town at noon (27mph on the mtb). Feel free to chime in with your favorite/most unusual draft device.

6pm tonight starts the weekly motor-pace crit rides at SBU. Nate is kindly allowing us to use his scooter (high dollar Yamaha, which is for sale...) and looks like Ira, Dale, Jim J., Frank, myself, and possibly Nate are in. Not going to gun it too hard tonight as I want everyone to get to their respective comfort level before dropping the hammer. Pics (and hopefully video) coming tomorrow.

Speaking of crit stuff I am heading to Tulsa for a couple Cat IV races this weekend. I have no visions of grandeur, but am looking forward to getting back in a group after being away for over three years. I feel confident my fitness is good enough to stay with the pack, but who knows about finishing spots. Forecast is looking pretty good. Our hj'er is in action at state t&f on Friday in Jeff City so it will be driving one way to turn around and head the opposite to Tulsa (it's well worth it to watch him jump and actually would have cancelled my Tulsa trip if he had jumped on Saturday).

Made the easiest $20 buck today from a guy who thought his Zipp 303 tubies were the same weight as his clincher Bontrager Lites... I know, I know, but he swore they were the same to the ounce. I tried to give him several outs, but he persisted and after a quick trip to the post office for the 'official' weigh in it turns out the Zipps (with 22mm Conti Sprinters come in at 1lb 1.44 ounces) are over 9 ounces under(only weighed the front ones) the clincher (duh). I'll be collecting soon since he wouldn't let it go up front.

Giro: Crazy tough day as it was long, hot (115* on the tarmack), and hilly. Levi suffered a huge setback and will not see the top three again as he refuses (or simply can't is more accurate) to attack. Menchov is clearly impressive and is in complete control. I like watching these on a daily basis (check out the past clips - hilarious with Jens, DZ, and MR).

Below are a couple shots of Colin (high school hj'er with SICK form) and us together I (thanks mom Doyle). The first shot was early in the year and his form (arch) has only gotten better and better:



Fitness: Monday - 1 hr trainer at tempo. Today - 1 hr cruise of back roads on mtb at lunch and some intensity tonight at SBU.

One last thing: I keep hearing that 64oz slurpee calling - must... resist... temptation...

No comments:

Post a Comment