Sunday, May 17, 2009

Tina Fey's Old Gig (Weekend Update...SNL)

Friday evening saw Jake head out for his first date; he was only slightly nervous (hard to type sarcasm). He looked really sharp (see for yourself):


Jake got home at a decent hour from dinner and AC and he said they had a great time (and his tie was a perfect match for his date's dress).
Saturday morning came way too early (5:30am) as I stayed up way too late (1:00am) the night before playing stupid CofD4!!!! The earliness came to ensure Jake made it to the bus for their departure for district track in Jeff City. We (Deb, Ian, and I) left at 6:45 to make the trip to JC. We stopped for a great country breakfast at the LoftheO (where Ian discovered he couldn't eat 3 full French Toast servings) and then found our way on up to the capital. The meet started at 11am so we were there by 10 to get the jumpers up and going. We didn't really check the weather forecast as it had been pretty nice the days before and we all were a bit chilly for most of the day in shorts (we did bring jackets) as I'm not sure if it got out of the low 50's all day (with high winds).

On the way up Deb and I started reading (she reads aloud while I drive) Outliers. My brother highly recommended it and so far it is quite interesting (more to come with each chapter read) as it addresses research into what makes success and its correlation to genius.

The 4x800 crew ran OK, but not exceptional and same with the 4x400; neither advanced on to Sectionals. Our boy high jumper won districts and is looking pretty strong for sectionals - great job Colin, and one of the girl triple jumpers got 2nd (moving on to sectionals)! The first picture below is of Jake and Aaron, a senior teammate in XC and T&F for two years (and leads Jake in a weekly bible study) who has had an incredible influence on living a christian lifestyle, competing at one's best, and most importantly caring for other before himself. I believe Aaron is THE finest young man I have had a privilege to know and couldn't want for a better influence in Jake's life.





It is time for total rest for Jake and his leg. We got to talking and he has ran consistent since last June; we have no idea how many miles he logged, but it has to be up there and this coming summer it will continue to increase.

It was a long day as we got home around 9:30pm and everyone pretty much headed straight for bed; I did wait for Jake to get home (10:30) and tell him how proud I was of his work through this frustrating season of injury. Although he was disappointed, he said this was his best year of track to date as the fellowship with teammates and his coach was awesome. He has such a good head on his shoulders and is well grounded. He hit the hay a little after 11pm.

Planned to get up and on the bike this morning by 7am for some interval crit work, but didn't come to until 8am and my body get felt sleepy (not physically tired from a workout, but the kind when you stayed up too late too many nights in a row) so I played AM hookie. We headed to Sunday School and then back home (via Wally World for groceries and more flowers). I had a three hour window to get in a solid ride before going to my niece's graduation and following party, but it was so nice that I went ahead with some yard work (mowed and planted new flowers) and SAWBC (Sunday Afternoon World Basketball Championships) against Ian (he took it again 2-1) the whole time (figuring I could still get some efforts later). Graduation was good and once again Ian and I got in some quality photo time prior to the event start:



After graduation on to my bro's casa where we stayed until after 8pm. We got home and after a quick game of chess I raised the white flag on training. It was a really good weekend and I just didn't feel like getting out on the bike, so here I am typing and working my way to bed.

Here is a little eye-candy for Chad in SA. Updated the cross bike look with a white saddle and white bar tape (on the upper section):



Fitness: Saturday had nothing as all day was spent in JC. I was hoping for some crit work today, but my driver ended up unavailable and still dragging butt tired from the night prior and long day so I played hookie and only worked some upper strength. I feel rejuvenated and ready to attack this week with some good sessions. It used to bother me to have a couple days (especially weekends) that I don't ride, but now I listen to my body and don't try to force it when it feels like tired. This helps me mentally a ton.

4 comments:

  1. 1/2 white tape? Bolivar shsh

    "we have no idea how many miles he logged" tsk tsk. Miles not as important as time. At his age its pretty important to keep track to curtail over training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good, white saddle on a cross bike-Big Pimping

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good, White saddle on a cross bike perfect. Classic and fast.
    Hasta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scotty - Your fashion comments are as a grain of salt considering you think the purple TT suit is 'the bomb'. Nuff said

    ReplyDelete