Sunday, May 31, 2009

Acurate Name for Races

Tulsa Tough and my first crits in 3 years are in the books. More on that in a couple paragraphs (I am a sequential order kind of guy).

Friday - Missouri State Track & Field Meet: Jumped into work early to get some basic stuff done then Jake and I drove up early Friday morning to Jeff City. Great drive up as we chit chatted quite a bit and listened to a lot of his music. Arrived in time to watch the girls' 4x800 team get 10th. Found Colin as he was starting to warm up and there just seemed to be something a little different about him then all the other meets. I think his nerves were getting to him as his run throughs and practice jumps were not looking too good. Opening height was 6' and he cleared it easily on his first attempt; I was starting to feel better as he finally looked like his old self. 6'2" had been routine at practice, but Friday it was a disaster and he missed each attempt. He was devastated and my heart broke for him. We talked briefly and gave him words of encouragement, but mostly left him alone for the time. I enjoyed working with and getting to know Colin this year as he is a super kid. Jake and I caught a handful of the other races and then headed back home; more chit chat and music.

Got home in time to pack up for my trip to Tulsa the next morning and hang out with the crew. Our neighbor's grandchild was in town and he and Ian hit it off great Friday evening as they both went right to playing some basketball (followed up with FireFly catching) Over the weekend they played tons of baseball, basketball, and even got in some fishing.

Headed our at 5:45am for Tulsa Tough crit races in downtown Tulsa. 3hrs later I was at the event and picking up my race packet. It has been over 3 years since I last raced a crit (Gateway Cup events in STL) and I'll admit I was a little nervous as I didn't know if my bike handling or fitness would keep me up in the main pack. The course was an L shape with a slight riser 1/2 in and a slight drop 3/4 through with everything wide open and easy corners. 11:30AM I toe the line with 86 others and find out we were going to 60 minutes... wait a second, I thought Cat IVs would have gone around 45min at most and I was not looking forward to an additional 15 minutes (I know, it doesn't sound like much, but in crit or cross 15 minutes can be an eternity). The race was hard, but I felt good moving in the pack like I hadn't been off for some time. The final laps continued to increase in speed and I recognized the fact that my legs were not going to get me in the top 15 (payout) so I held on in the rear and finished mid-pack. Looking at my HR numbers found I averaged 179 for 58 minutes with a max of 206!!!!! I knew I was going hard a couple times, but had no idea that hard. The rest of the day was spent in a comfy chair with an umbrella watching all the other races.

This morning my race was at 9am and it was for only 45 minutes (yes!). The course is way different than the day before as it looks like a flat D shape with the start on a flat road with right turn into a significant (small ring) climb followed by a slight drop transitioning to another climb (big ring) to a fast decent into a 130* turn leading back to the start finish. I was hesitant even before the race started in seeing the corner and the potential for a washout in a pack of aggressive riders. 68 started and I quickly found myself in the top 15 or so, but after 4 or 5 laps into it a rider wiped out inside of me on the 130* turn, hit me full force, and somehow I stayed upright and continued on in the pack. Around 25 minutes in I realized I was not going to be able to finish in the top 15 (payout) as the climb was taking it toll on my more and more every lap. At 30 minutes I hear 'Cash Prime' and I think to meself 'I can take a shot at money now and probably not last the rest of the race or I can struggle to finish with the pack and know I can't take any of the cash' so I put in an attack at the top of the climb and took home 1 prime. Subsequently, one lap later I drop from the pack and get pulled. Turns out there were four wrecks in our race and I am glad to say none had impact on me (sometimes in a CatIV race that is a victory in itself).

All in all a good (not great) way to get my feet wet in crit racing again. I had loads of fun and am looking forward to being a pack fodder in future events. Here is a good link to YouTube video of the last day with the hairpin turn at the bottom of a descent.

I stuck around and watched a couple races before heading back home. The drive went pretty quick and got a great chat on the phone with Chad, which always makes my day. Although we don't see each other often we have a good relationship and friendship. Looking forward to seeing him (and whipping up on DFlugel - you better be training) on our trip to SA in July. Stopped by Deb's deceased grandparent's home and picked some strawberries and checked on the place. Got home and hung out doing little (Ian was at a friends and Jake had friends over) until Deb and I decided to go on a tandem 1:15hr spin late in the evening (nice weather and great ride). Deb is awesome about letting me head out of my excursions; she knows it does my mind and body good and I appreciate that tons.

This week the boys start summer school (Jake starts XC practice at 6am) and Ian has a ballgame in SPR on Wednesday and a tourney on Saturday also in SPR. I have a mtb race in Columbia on Sunday. Looks like a typical week ahead.

Will have comments about the Giro in the upcoming days: long and short of it, my picks stunk on all fronts. Really cool Phiney won the Roubiax today; that kid is something special.

***I have absolutely stunk about taking pictures/video lately; have to do better***

No comments:

Post a Comment