Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Soggy Evening of T&F

Picked up Ian early from school (which makes me his hero) and headed to Marshfield mid-afternoon for the COC (small school) conference meet with the Evans. Weather forecast looked for the rain holding off which meant 1 hour in the wet stuff started coming down. Never got a big dumping of rain, just a steady light steady dropping the entire evening. The jumpers had a pretty decent day in the nasty conditions, but the main guy long jumper hit the pit (which was not tilled resulting in jolting packed sand landings) on this final jump and wrenched his ankle; not sure how long he will be out as it was pretty bad (he got 2nd overall). Girls won the title and the boys got 3rd overall (not too many points behind the winner).

Jake had a tough day trying to get back his track speed after being off for two weeks. His leg bothered him some (not as bad as expected), but it was mainly just trying to get his body back to race pace. He worked hard on the bike during his downtime, but it doesn't translate to the track so much. He was looking fatigued toward the end of his runs, but I expect he will bounce back (again) by districts in 1 1/2 weeks. On a bright note his 4x800 got all-conference honors with a 3rd place (4x400 was 4th - I think). This has been a frustrating season for him with the time off for the school play/ski trip, trying to get back up to speed, injury, and again trying to get back up to speed. He told me his leg wasn't bothering him too bad this morning so that is good news.

As referenced a couple post ago, Deb has some pain in her feet/lower legs. She hit up the boys at BPT, who are hopefully getting her on the road to recovery. I'll say it again, Tom and Bill are awesome at the professions. Looks like a litttel less time power walking and more on the bike (typed with a slight smile on my face as tandemainia is fixing to go wild!) Speaking of my sweetie, she got her hair cut and highlighted Monday evening and is looking fine as ever! Yesterday, one of the track girls commented on her being a cutie and I responded with "of course she is, she's my wife" in which she, and surrounding others, made numerous remarks about me over-achieving, something related to my shaved head, and back to her being out of my league... ok, ok, I get it and I agree (jeez, give an old guy a break once in a while). It was a pretty funny exchange; I really enjoy helping the jumpers and being around them at practices and meets. For the most part they are quality kids who enjoy life and make things fun.

***Been slacking on the pictures/video; hard to take shots when the action on the track is happening. Will try to do better in the future***

American Idol (that's right, I watch my shows: American Idol, Amazing Race, and Survivor-this season only since Coach is on) is getting tight and will be interesting to see who heads home tonight. On a related note: How the heck did I watch TV before DVRs???

Fitness: Rode 1:30hrs with Dale yesterday at lunch and we drilled it a couple times (1 30min effort and 1 10min effort) over some tough terrain. I need to spend more time riding hilly stuff and moving some of the gym strength to the bike. Dale and I got in a solid 2hr spin today at lunch; absolutely great weather/temp outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment