Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Right Choice

Like I posted earlier, I decided to stay home this weekend and Saturday turned out really good here in Mayberry even though it never got above 60*. I am disappointed to not racing this weekend, but my life is all about laying out a map of activities and making constant adjustments to make it work best for the crew and this weekend was one of those time to change directions. Quick recap

Everyone slept in (7:30am for me, but after 9 for everyone else) and that started our day great. I watched Romandie online, which turned out pretty good. Roman made a great attack and almost ended up getting caught at the line. Today is the final stage and the toughest. I keep waiting for Valverde to do something, but maybe he just doesn't have it yet. I saw where Levi destroyed the TT at Gila and Armstrong was 3rd (not too shabby). Levi will be a major player at the Giro; it will be a good one (as they have been for the past couple years).

Ian and I got all the yard work done early (before the rain that never came). Ian has ridden with me on the mower for a lot of last year and most of this year. He used to put his hands on the hydrostats, but never steered, but lately I have let him do the driving in the open and he is doing quite well staying straight. Yesterday was his big moment; vidoe please...


***Now, for all the mom's out there throwing a fit that I let me 8yr old mow alone, calm down and keep reading. It was only in the open, straight, and flat area and I was right beside him the entire time. My dad had me driving all kinds of stuff by Ian's age and the boy is super capable.***

Ian's baseball practice was cancelled due to soggy fields, which might be a recurring theme for some time. He ended up spending the afternoon/evening at his first fish-fry with his buddy Payton.

Jake needed a tough interval session and I needed some intensity so I jumped on the rollers and we suffered together. We were both spent at the end of the hour. He has worked really hard on his intervals since being hurt. Tomorrow he gets a light 1hr spin with some running build ups afterwards.

Deb got some onions in the garden and it is really looking good (the garden that is; it goes without saying that Deb always is!)

Since we weren't heading to STL, Deb and I decided to have a little date night so we headed to SPR for dinner. We met Deb's mom and dad at Old Chicago and had a great time. They are heading home to South Dakota on Monday and we were looking to spend a little more time with them before their departure. We hit a couple stores after dinner to get Deb some last minute cruise stuff, grabbed a couple coffee's, and hit the bookstore (Deb's favorite place). Another great evening with my girl.

We got home and Jake (and his friend Scuba Steve) were watching Ian and Payton and it ended up that everyone stayed the night. My boys have good friends and we encouage them coming over frequently. Ian and Payton are right behind me as I type playing some NCAA Basketball on the 360.

Fitness: Great hour of intervals with the most intensity/pushing bigger gears I have done this year. It is a while before I race mtb's again so I am moving to crit style training.

No comments:

Post a Comment