Thursday, May 14, 2009

RESPECT!!!!

That is what I have for any single parent (mom or dad) trying to raise their kids in a positive environment. Now, I am not talking about a parent who let's their kids slide by, has no real interaction to shape their lives in a positive way, or doesn't have a 'tuck their little ones in at night' mentality; no, I am talking about those who study, read, have dinner, play, pray, and any other activity that sharpens each little one. How do they do it day after day? Here I was for one week with great kids and although it wasn't a struggle it was challenging to get quality time with them, household chores done, cook healthy meals, and somewhere find time for myself (focused on fitness)... RESPECT to my new heroes!

Yesterday afternoon/evening was focused on getting the house ready for Deb's return. Worked with the jumpers at track practice then Jake and I picked up Ian from baseball practice and headed home for dinner. After a quick bite Jake was off to his church youth group for the evening and Ian and I headed outside for a little basketball. He took the HDWC (Hump Day World Championship - you had no idea we belonged to so many basketball leagues, did you) where he took 2 out of 3. I finished trimming the lawn (mowed it at lunch) and shrubs. Weeded the garden, which is looking really nice. We then moved it inside where Ian worked on getting his room in order and I tackled the laundry (while catching some NBA action). By night's end it was MISSION ACCOMPLISHED and only a couple small things to do before her arrival tonight (around 8-9pm).

Ian got 3rd at a school spelling-bee yesterday and is kicking himself for not putting the extra 'g' in the word 'biggest'; he was proud, but frustrated at the same time as his buddy Payton lost 1st place to a GIRL (of all things)! He is looking forward to the CofS tonight at school.

Deb called this morning from their docked boat and was having a little breakfast before departure. She is trying to figure out a way to get fresh pineapple at home delivered every morning... She was in a fun mood and said they had a great time, but was looking forward to seeing her boys. She was a little frustrated about missing Ian's school event tonight (as she is the driving force of academics at our house). Heading to the florist this afternoon to get a couple different vases filled with fresh flowers as we anxiously await her return.

The Giro was kind of odd today as Scarponi solo'ed out at the end from the break, but the peleton split into a couple groups on the run in and Armstrong was split (with some others) and lost another 40-some odd seconds. He made it clear he had no ambitions to 'race/win' the Giro, but I think he is not 'looking good' even though others have reported he is doing a great ride. Could it be he is training his way into race shape and will let the time gaps get big enough that the gruppetto will let him go in a break for his chance at a stage win???





Fitness: Yesterday training took a backseat to household chores so chalking it up as a rest day. Great two hour ride at lunch today; no wind, nice temps, and good legs (what else can you ask for except for downhill tailwind the entire way...). Headed through the metropolis of Van on my way to Pleasent Hope and back home. Pretty hilly (not super tough, but steady up and downs) to and from; steady tempo without exerting too much until the last 30min where I worked a bunch of cornering at speed in subdivision south of town. I have got to get down to SPR and do a couple Tuesday Nighters before Tulsa just to get some time in a group at speed. Additionally, I've got a scooter lined up for some moto work at SBU the next couple of weeks - always fun. We did this a couple years ago and I feel I get a ton of return from those exertions.

5 comments:

  1. And a lot of people have jobs that aren't as flexible as yours and require a lot more hours and spend a lot more time commuting. You are more fortunate than you realize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely aware of my fortunate situation (one reason I am in Bolivar) and you are correct; even more RESPECT is due.

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. John your still my hero, but I understand. Shelly and I do not have kids, but with all the kids she coaches we see the differents in parenting. You and Deb do a great job, and one day I hope I can follow in your footsteps.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. San Antonio dropping in on the BLOG! Awesome

    The Jones Crew is heading to SA July 3-7th; we'll have to get in some riding and dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you scootering? Might have to horn in on some of that action. Schedule might be easing up a little with no summer school. Also we need to hook up to get some wheels to Bolivar! Tired of them hanging on my wall. The Courts are right next to my J.O.B.

    ReplyDelete