Monday, May 18, 2009

Hillbilly Riding in Polk County

So today at lunch Dale and I are heading out for some interval work and I was going on about my slight disappointment in missing out on a motor-pacing session yesterday morning when Dale let's me know the opportunity just presented itself. I look up and low and behold a large cabbed tractor pulled out on the road 100 meters up and was cruising along. We both snickered and upped the pace to 'bridge' to the FARM IMPLEMENT (not a phase Phil or Paul use too often - "and Super Mario attacks the bunch and moves straight onto the combine, but hard man Tchmil responds with a counter of his own trying to reach the four-bottom plow..."). We settled in at a 20mph pace and Dale pulls out is phone and he thinks he got most of it on video (definitely published ASAP if I get it). We follow it for a couple miles as it was heading the direction of our efforts before it pulled off.

So he and I are talking about some unusual things we have seen in the past handful of years and sadly pacing off the tractor barely made the top ten. Last week I was riding some back roads and an ATV raced me (I on the road and he in a rough ditch) for nearly two miles. And, an even better head-to-head match was three years ago when an Amish guy in a buggy and I were going at it on a cross ride. I rode up on the buggy on a slight incline taking my time not to spook the horse and as I pulled up even I saw a tap of the whip to the horse and a click sound from the driver. I looked over and he smiled and gestured it was on (hilarious) so I picked it up and for over a mile we went at it (of course I was the first to wave the white). Not a single word spoken, but a couple smiles exchanged (PRICELESS). Who knows, I might have just inspired another Floyd Landis to switch his preference of steeds. The buggy story IS in my top 5, but the ATV not even close to top 10.

Fitness: 1:10hrs this AM at steady/brisk tempo and 1:15hrs of intervals at lunch today. Both sessions felt great.

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, the camera man failed in his aim. All I got was the tractor's wheel and John's... um... backside. Sorry, my bad.



    Dale

    ReplyDelete