Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Turns into Father's Day (Not in a Good Way)

Jake, Ian, and I headed out Saturday afternoon for my mom's house via SPR. Jake needed to pick up a tie to match his date's dress for AC (B0livar High School's Athletic Celebration - recognition and dance following). First stop and a perfect find; we were all happy as I anticipated a store by store death march (sigh), but it was avoided. After a little Buffalo Wild Wings where Ian stepped up off the kids menu and orders some 'real man wings' with Jake and I we headed to dad and mom's house. I had Jake drive most of the way as I wanted him to get used to back country roads in the dark. He did great and I am feeling really confident about his driving abilities.

Pretty relaxing evening with the parents as we watched some NBA and did a bunch of nothing. Sunday morning found mom not feeling too good, so Jake stayed home with her during morning church services while Ian and I went to pop's church. Jim, Cheri, and Alexandra came down for the afternoon. Ian and grandpa played some catch and we all goofed around before getting out to mom's flower/shrub beds for a little maintenance.

***Pic above 1 is Ian's face when he heard it was time to go #2 is part of mom's English Garden that is always beautiful with various colors #3 new Impatience with Hoste's coming***

Everyone took off around 5pm and headed back to Bolivar. A good afternoon of family time (am missing Deb a bunch already).

On the drive home I got a call that dad had a severe pain in his side and was taken to the hospital (Aurora initially then transferred to Cox - SPR) with no real details provided except his condition was not life-threatening. With Deb not home I stayed with the boys while Jim went to SPR. Several communications throughout the night on updates and it was still unclear what occurred, but today word came that the pain was a muscle strain and that all would heal in time (appearently the muscle relaxing meds are going their job and the pain in minor). Further examination found a clot in his lower leg (which had yet to dislodge). He is staying a couple more days until they get his blood thinned down and then he is pretty much able to regain a normal lifestyle. He, and we, are fortunate the clot did not move within his body and cause major damage.
It is hard to hear of him in a hospital as I've always envisioned him superhero-ish in that he always took US to the ER and nothing could ever penetrate his armor. I know he is getting older, but to be around him you would never know it as his 'retirement' is more active and physically hard than most folks hard days at work. Hang in there pop, we love you.
So it was an odd day (and into the night), but I know my dad is strong physically and mentally and will pull through this like a champ... he has too, because that's what he does.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY DEB!!!!! Neither I nor the boys got the chance to talk with Deb on Mom's Day, but that's A-OK because we tell her how much we love and appreciate her everyday - not only just on special ones. So, since she is out of country on a warm sandy beach with a fruity drink in hand, I'll post my favorite all-time picture of Deb (as you can tell I shop for Christmas trees just a little different than most):


I have yet to mention the 5th part of the Jones Crew - our cat (or a panther, we haven't decided). While it's official name is Shadow there are numerous names it gets called and I simply stick with 'Cat'. It is 9 months old, but it absolutely huge (and not in a fat way), thus the idea it might be a panther and very soon we could be in trouble... Here is a short video clip of how it asks for food; keep in mind we didn't teach it this he came up with it on his own and has done it since the first days it came home:

Fitness: 2hr road ride on Saturday, 2 hr trainer tempo on Sunday, strength workout this AM with 1 hr basketball at lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment