Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Evening at the Ball Game

The heat and humidity continues to blanket the Midwest and relief is not within sight anytime soon. This weekend's Tour of KC is going to be a hot one as I race at 5:45pm Friday, 7:40pm on Saturday, and (sigh) 1pm on Sunday; all forecasts in the upper 90's (add in heat index and who knows what it will be). Good thing these are crits and over in less than an hour.

Ian's baseball team got some GA tickets to the SPR Cardinals game so yesterday he and I braved the heat advisory and headed to the Hammon's Field. Before we left I made sure he wanted to go and sit in the heat and I got the 'E-ball Answer' "of course, it's a game", which sums this kid up to a T (if there is a sport playing he wants to either be in it or watching). While it was pretty warm it wasn't near as hot as I anticipated (thanks to a little cloud cover) and by night's end it was really nice (amazing what a light breeze can do). Ian and several teammates had a great time watching the game and fighting for foul balls (looked like throwing food to the trout at Bennett Springs). Ian ended up going home with Payton and spending the night so I soloed it back to Bolivar. The first picture below is of the 'twins'; these two are pretty much inseparable and both sports fanatics.

***All pics and video taken with my new Argus Bean; super light weight, compact, 5mega pixel, and watch resistant (no longer carrying one in a baggie). I am still figuring out settings on the video mode, but it's coming along. It has a built in beaner so it clips on my bike cables and is super accessible during rides -handy.***

Springfield is fortunate to have such a great ball facility as Hammon's and good baseball like the Cardinals farm team. Super cheap tickets, a comfortable spectator friendly facility, and good ball is a hard evening to pass up with your son.

While the offer for Deb to go to the ball game was made she opted for a movie night with girlfriends (it goes without says, but she is much smarter than I). She says The Proposal was one of the funniest flicks she had seen in a long time.

Jake stayed local and watch some movies at a friends house. I am seeing less and less of him in the evenings as he is enjoying the liberty/flexibility of having a car and summer vacation. His last day of summer school is today (big smile every time he reminds us), but 6am practice continues every morning until XC season starts in Aug (then he runs in the AM and PM).

A buddy who works at a local Chevy dealer called yesterday I went down to check out the 2010 Camero SS ($43k). It is incredible as they have brought back the late 60's feel of a true muscle car. I like this clip (brought to you by The Wah Report).

Fitness: 1 1/2hrs basketball yesterday at a pretty high intensity. Wednesday is full rest. Still feeling the affect of last week and hopefully my high end HR will rear its head for this weekend's races in KC. If not, then I'll count it as quality time with KCHarding (yes, I am bringing my shovel and boots) and not sweat it as cross it still a ways away (Sept 19th probably comes faster than I think). I found the following tidbit interesting (as I never knew it before), but last Friday the results of my blood pull had my hematocrit level at 43.4 (very normal according to my doc).

No comments:

Post a Comment