Saturday, June 27, 2009

Number 2 in the Books

Had a fun day doing a whole bunch of nothing with Craig (and Max their dog); very restful and relaxing. Way hot outside midday and wasn't looking forward to this evening's race as the temps hovered around 100* with 40% humidity. Around 6:30pm we kitted up and road over to the Lee's Summit downtown course (a 5mile ride) and this evening I let Craig set the pace as I didn't want him burning any candles before the gun (as I haven't heard him quite whining about yesterday's roll over to Longview and his '150+ HR') . On the way over it started raining and it didn't let up until 1/4 way into our 40min race; really cooled off the temps which was super nice.

The course tonight was a straight four corner wide open crit. The group stayed together for most of the ride and I spent my time setting at the back doing absolutely nothing. Legs and HR were feeling good and I was hoping to just hang with the lead group to the end. With around 6 laps to go I put in a good effort for 1/2 a lap trying to bridge to a lone leader, but all I was doing was towing the whole group around so I went to the middle of the pack to bide my time. With 3 to go I moved up, with 2 to go I moved up a little more, with 1 to go I was in the top 6 or so and at the line I had a decent little sprint and took 4th. I felt really comfortable and put myself in the right places at the right times.

Craig and I rolled back to the house, got cleaned up, and C & C and I grabbed a little late-night grub. We sat on their back deck watching the lightening show in the distance and had some good laughs. I have no idea why it is so long between visits with them (will have to change that immediately).

Tomorrow's race is at 1pm and the forecast is in the 80s (nice relief). Not really sure about the layout, but I am feeling pretty fresh and look forward to one more day of trying to stick with the pack. These are good races, but not anywhere near the intensity of TT (I guess I should wait until after tomorrow to finalize that statement).

Talked with the family several times today and it appears the heat stuck around and indoor activities was the theme of the day. I sure do miss my crew even on these short days away and really appreciate Deb (and the boys) giving me time/space to do my silly 'me stuff'. I recognize she in one-in-a-million and hope I return/fulfill her personal needs as well as she does mine - THANKS BABY!

No comments:

Post a Comment