Sunday, June 7, 2009

Weekend Scoop

Got up early Saturday morning and tended to the garden, flower beds, and shrubs. Soon there after we (all but Jake, who was still sleeping) loaded up and headed to SPR for Ian's ball games. Remember a handful of posts back when I went on about Ian's team being a bunch of studs, well that all changed immediately as they played all three of their games like it was their first one (of their lives!). Very frustrating day for the boys to go 0-3 and play so badly. Ian had his share of rough goings, but hit solid every time up; too bad 6 of the 8 were right at a player and resulted in an out. So far for the season his hitting average is .454. He did have some great plays at 3rd and still is showing a canon of an arm.





After the games it was on to McCrapples where Ian pounded his first Big Mac (see pic for proof).



Found out on the drive home that my last hope for a travel partner to Columbia bailed and if I wanted to race mtb's it was going to be another solo 6+hr drive (2nd weekend in a row). I was still up in the air and would decide Sunday morning (early).

Got home mid-afternoon and Deb and I watched Defiance; pretty good rental, but not great. Jake had some friends over so he disappeared once again. We goofed around the casa and then I headed to play some poker with the regulars. Pretty good time eating, joking, and being 'guys' with friends. I ended up 2nd (losing to my bro as usual) and got home a little after 11pm, which pretty much helped me decide not to go solo to Rhett's run the following day. Even though I was pretty bummed, I realize it is just a hobby and by Monday morning will be only an afterthought...

Jake spent the night with Scuba so not much time with that one this weekend.

Sunday morning was beautiful outside as I was up early again (I like to at least sleep til 8am on one weekend day) and hit the garden, flower beds, and shrubs again. Found a rabbit munching on my strawberries and he was gone when I returned with the pellet gun (picture Elmer Fudd in Teva's and shorts and that was me). I then did a little bike maintenance for a local guy and before I knew it Deb was telling me I was running behind for church. Quick shower and change I was in the car waiting for the crew.

After church Jake and Scuba joined us for a little Mexican eats and then they fired up DDR at the house and worked up quite the sweat. Always funny watching them play that. Ian and I headed outside for some catch. Afterwards we headed back in and Deb and I caught a short nap (while Ian watched the Cardinals play).

Met Dale around 4pm and we hit the Frisco on mtbs for a couple hours. Good pace and just a generally good ride. I was not really in the mood to stoke it up as I was still sulking about not racing, but it is always a good time just rolling with Dale. We got a little north of Walnut Grove when we decided to turn back toward Bolivar as a downed tree help us choose that precise time (see pic). Going south we had a good headwind so it was time to reap a little reward and we cruised pretty good. Of all the times I have ridden the northern Frisco I often noticed a hidden double track leading of the trail into a dense wooded area. Today Dale and I took that off-shoot and found a 1 1/2 or so single track (with two creek crossings) trail (see pic) in the middle of nowhere. Pretty cool deal, but it was on private property so we'll stay clear of it from now on.







Got in a little over 2hrs and it was a great release for my frustration of not racing. Showered and changed up and Jake and I booked it over to the VBS (vacation bible school) kickoff where tons of kids activities and food was spread around. I grabbed a couple 'dogs and Jake disappeared with his friends (never to be seen again until they were all leaving). Caught up with Ian and Deb and we all grabbed some lawn chairs and hung out under a great shade tree chatting and laughing. These folks in the picture are quality people with a tremendous love for life and laughter. It is obvious I wouldn't normally fit in this crew, but they take me for what I am (but more likely they enjoy Deb's company and tolerate me - HA) and I wouldn't trade them for anything.



After VBS Deb, Ian, and I made our way to R&S W's house to pound some sweets and watch game 2 of the NBA Finals. I know and fully understand how dominate Kobe is, but have I said lately that... I Freaking Hate The Lakers (and every call that goes their way!)!!!!!

It's Sunday night and I am looking for the bed. It was another great weekend at the Jones Ranch; hope yours was too.

Dauphine L is going on this week and while it's not a favorite I still enjoy watching the TdF contenders feeling each other out. Interesting to see Alberto 2nd to Evans on the opening TT; more interesting will be if Contador goes full out on the later stages or if he doesn't show all his cards. Glad to see Kloden riding well in Luxemburg, but you had to know one of the Schlecks was taking home the overall (I like both of them - aggressive and fearless).

Fitness: Great rest day Saturday and a 2hr+ mtb spin Sunday. All in all a tame week as I anticipated racing today and so I take it as a recover/rest week and will hit the next two pretty hard to prep for Tour of KC in later June.

1 comment: