Thursday, June 18, 2009

STL Trip

Deb and I headed out Tuesday afternoon for STL. The purpose of the trip was round #2 of marrow/t cell donation for an unidentified recipient (on Wednesday) and I added on a stop at the Tuesday Night'er in STL as a bonus.

We pulled up to Carondelet Park in plenty of time to get registered and catch the 'A' race (P/1/2/3) at 6pm. I had no idea what to expect of this event and was simply looking for some time in the saddle at a good pace in a pack, but I knew it was going to be fun when I saw over 60 riders in the A race. The course was .7 miles with flowing corners and a little descent and ascent; looked pretty simple (which it was). I got warmed up on a side loop and when I showed up to the start line for a 30 minute + 3 there were around 70 riders (which I was later told was an average field size - nice). I got quickly to the front portion of the race and got off the front once with a couple guys that went no where fast. Mid-race they have a $6 prime (only one of the event) and since I was feeling pretty good I thought I would give it a try... along with six others (sigh), but I played things right and gave a good effort at the end and nipped a Mesa rider for the BIG CASH PAYOUT. The six of us had a pretty good gap and after trying to get something simulating a break for a lap the field pulled us in. I drifted toward the rear for the rest of the race until two laps to go and moved up into the front 1/3. I gave it a go with the field at the finish and bagged 5th (25.4mph average). I felt really good throughout the event and actually sprinted pretty good (for me) when it mattered. The C race had 40 or so in it, which made the overall evening a pretty big turnout. It was so much fun that I am now looking for any reason to be in STL on Tuesday nights for the rest of the summer.

Cruised over to the hotel, got cleaned up, and Deb and I enjoyed a nice meal on the outdoor deck at Landry's (Union Station).

The next morning came early as check in was 7:30am at the STLU unit. 5 1/2 hrs on the machine seemed like an eternity since I couldn't move (except for my left arm). Deb and I watch Slumdog Millionaire (liked it tons) and Grumpy Old Men (always a favorite) to kill the time. An interesting fact: my body holds roughly 5,500 ml of blood and yesterday they processed 23,000 ml through the machine (that my total volume going through 4 times - pretty cool). My platelet count was extremely low so I was advised not to do any activity for several days that might make me fall or knock my noggin (you know, that is usually on my list of things NOT TO DO anyway). I was feeling a little fatigued afterwards, but got to rest some in the hotel before heading out to meet Deb's sister and husband at Cunetto's (great Italian on The Hill). The food was super and the company awesome. I really enjoy Mandee and Chris and always look forward to time with them (lots of laughs). On a side note: Jake thinks Chris is about as cool of uncle as there is (reminds him of Jeff from Rules of Engagement). Afterwards, to top off the STL experience, we grabbed a little Ted Drew's. Got back to the room and crashed.

Felt way better (normal) this morning after sleeping in late and pounding some breakfast bagels sandwiches and coffee. Did a little light shopping (Big Shark and REI) then headed toward Bolivar.

On our drive out on 44Hwy we saw overpass after overpass lined with tons of people and emergency and utility vehicles all with American Flags. At the 100 hwy exit we pulled off and joined in the crowds. We had no idea for whom or what this was intended, but it was obvious some kind of recognition of patriotism was in order. We waited for a handful of minutes before a Hurst and motorcade went under followed by over 100 motorcycles with American and POW flags flying. Turns out a solider killed in Iraq arrived at Lambert airport and has heading toward his final resting place in Sullivan. At our overpass (like many others we saw) there were several VFW's in uniform (American heroes - not the type described in athletics, but true men of courage) and what appeared to be a new private in uniform standing with his family. Several of the VWF's and civilian folks, to include myself, thanked him for his service and protecting our families; quite a powerful scene and the young solider stood tall with shoulders back ready to fulfill his responsibilities.

The rest of the ride home was pretty straight forward. Deb finished 'Blink', which was a great read. There were several bits of information that still has me thinking about things.

We picked up Ian and everyone got tons of hugs. Jake was happy to see us (jury still out if it was our return or the fact he was done sitting E-ball - either way I'll take it) and suprisingly spent the evening at home with us. Deb whipped up a good dinner then Ian and I went to his ball practice (back to the routine). I am feeling pretty good, but still a little more fatigued than regular. Deb and I worked in the garden and around the shrub/flower beds and now getting ready to turn in for the evening.

Fitness: Tuesday - 35minute crit The rest of this week is off due to low platelet count.

3 comments:

  1. A couple of weeks ago we went to my niece's graduation. I had a nephew-in-law that was there in military uniform. I was surprised at how many people come up to shake his hand just because he's in uniform. It's pretty cool though. He's been in Iraq 3 times now so deserves the recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John we are proud of what you are doing for this lady you don't even know. Just take care of yourself until you are back to normal. Also, thanks for the comments of the show of patriotism for our country's fallen son. I wish we could see more of this sort of demonstration in the media, instead of what we usually get. I think it would help our country a lot.LOL,Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. John ditto on what Linda said. My pride in my family only grows.

    ReplyDelete