Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday Evening & Family Scramble

Friday evening 2hr ride with Deb, my bro Jim, Wes, Marla, and Dale and Mary (his daughter on their tandem). We hit the southern roads of suburbia Bolivar over some new terrain for most. All was good with a great lightening/thunder show to the far north until we blew a front tire (tube and sidewall) on a fast descent. Deb was a little shaken, but I kept it upright long enough to get the rig slowed down. We got it 'booted' thanks to Dale's Skittles wrapper (handy and delicious) and got home just as it was turning really dark. Fun ride and great company.

Grabbed Ian from Jake (who both just walked in the door) so he could go hang out with his crew and the three of us went down to the middle school and took in Relay For Life. We filled our faces with the regular Relay chow while watching E-ball play some mini-golf and Rock Band. Headed back home around 10:30 and everyone is hitting the sack, except for Jake who stopped by just long enough to let us know who's house and how long we will be. He is enjoying his summer and his good friends.

Saturday morning started early as Ira and the Jones crew loaded up and headed off to Ritter Springs for the Family Scramble. At 7:30am it was hot and muggy and it only got worse. Ira and Jake were quickly off the front and for most of the race Ian and I were holding strong in 2nd (overall/1st 7-12yr old). We had one stretch of looking for a point, but recovered pretty fast and ended up 4th overall and 3rd in our division (1:41hrs). Jake and Ira easily won the overall by calendar days (1:17 hrs) ahead of the next. I was absolutely blown away with Ian's running ability and drive to keep a fast pace. I bet he easily ran over 2 miles at a good clip. I had hooked up our bikes for a little towing, which worked out great on the uphill sections. Everyone had a great time and we all celebrated with some Subways. Deb got some great shots of the action and Ira provided some race coverage commentary:




Got home and everyone was beat tired; Deb and I napped while the boys laid around watching tube comatose. Mid-afternoon I got some yard work done and a little later Ian and I played catch. Deb made a great meal (grilled pork steak, homemade potato salad, cucumber/onion in vinegar, and a cheese cake w/strawberry toppings - YUM YUM!). Deb and Ian played some more catch (isn't he getting close to his 10,000 hrs - Outliers reference) while I beat up on Jake at the chess board. Later in the evening Jake talked Deb and I into a little DDR; it was fun, but more embarrassing then anything. Heading to bed now.
Tomorrow I am hitting a 2hr ride in the early AM and then we'll head to my dad's church for services with lunch somewhere afterwards.
Father's Day is tomorrow, but (as I have referenced before) the boys and Deb make pretty much every day feel special for me; I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment