Sunday, June 28, 2009

Final Day and Back Home

Woke up to some of Crusty's home brew (mmm, good coffee) and some Belgium waffles w/blueberries (for some as they weren't shared equally). Slowly got around, loaded up the truck, and headed downtown KC for the final day of Tour of KC (#1). We had no idea of the course layout until we got there and my first thought was 'oh crud, we are climbing again', but it turned out not too bad as it was all power and the hurt didn't last long. Simple four corner layout with a good punch of a ascent at corner one, flatten off out of turn two, drops down to three, drops a little more to turn 4 then a riser to the finish. 60+ racers in my field and shortly after the start whistle I see Crusty pegging it off the front... let's reflect on the conversation before the race start 'JJ, I'm looking to last 30 minutes today' (to his credit he did go 1 minute past the previous two days so it was positive day). I am not sure how many laps that lasted (a couple I suppose and I know in his race recap he'll explain how he softened the field up for myself and KLew. As the race went on little by little folks started disappearing off the back; I should know as the entire day I sat back there watching them go and then would jump around to the pack and so on and so one... My plan was to hang out in the middle rear until a handful of laps to go and see what I had left; it worked yesterday and if it ain't broke don't fix it (in reality I didn't have the legs to do any work up front today so why be there screwing everyone else up as the pace was fine the way it was). With five to go I move up a little and with four a little more then on the next lap we were told FINAL LAP; we were all like what the heck! At that time I was too far back to make a serious charge and rode in at the back of the main field (17th place - 20 left in the lead pack). Turns out KLew was caught up in a wreck and they had to shorten the race to get the ambulance on the course. Initial indications were he broke or dislocated his collar bone (get well soon buddy).

I stuck around a little bit to watch some Cat 5 carnage (first turn first lap 5 go down - nothing too bad, but interesting). Loaded up the rig, turned it south, and headed for home.

Stopped by Osceola Cheese (first time ever in there) and picked up some goodies for the drive and for later. Got some big hugs from both boys which kept a smile on my mug for the rest of the evening. Split a couple chess matches with Jake and general took the evening pretty easy. Even though it was only three days it was good to get home.

As an overall recap of the weekend it was great racing (11th, 4th, 17th and always with the lead group/chasers) on super courses and it builds confidence in the ground work layed. I especially enjoyed catching up with good friends; C & C were awesome hosts (thanks tons guys!) and between races it was super relaxing with a lot of laughing. Always fun to check out Crusty's toys (his basement has more cycling stuff then most LBS (especially like the two Edge forks and Edge carbon wheelsets - the boy has more 'hook ups' then an RV park), but my fav is still the Seven and Corey's Steelman or maybe her Look decked out with Sram Red - tough one there. Speaking of hook ups, I folded to peer pressure and joined up with the MWI crew and now I have a couple items of interest in the works; one in the garage, a couple Sunday suits in productions, and hopefully the topper on the way in a couple months (this is going to be a fun year of cross).

Next up... NOTHING until Queen City crits in late July, nothing in August (saving a little cash for items of interest), then mid-Sept it starts. I had a great spring/early summer between mtb'ing and crits and now am taking a little easy time on the cross bike and re-hitting the strength training, then ramping back up in Sept for the main season. Dale let me know his sister lives in Bend, OR and she opened up her basement for us in December. He is trying to plant seeds to get me to road trip... we'll have to see, but it's hard to pass up such a sweet setup and he is always a great travel partner (and imagine there is always room for another...).

Fitness: Seriously!?!?! ...have you not read the last three days - I'm tuckered out!

No comments:

Post a Comment