Thursday, August 20, 2009

HE WAS RIGHT THERE!!!!!

I'm a chronological blogger so I'll get the Header in a paragraph or two...

Jake, Ian, and I grabbed some local diner breakfast as J's AM practice and before Late Start Wednesday. Late Start refers to the Bolivar School system moving back ever Wednesday start time by 1 hr with school ending the same as ever other day (have never asked why this is, but we like it). Ian was in a somber mood as the Cards lost to the Dodgers the night before (seriously - this is a big deal in his world).

Yesterday it rained and Rained and RAINED! I don't think my lawn has ever looked so green in the middle of August. No sprinkler so far for 2009. I snuck out around 7:45pm and ran to the gym, lifted heavy on the lower bod (been a week, but knee is back to 100% and ready for the stress), and ran back home. I know my form looks pathetic on the way back as the legs are lead dead weights and every stride seems a monumental effort. Jake had a cross country teammate spend the night as it saves him from having to drive 5 mile into the country to get him. Figure Andrew will hang out at least a couple nights a week through the season, which is fine with us as his home life is pretty shattered and Jake provides a great positive influence (took him to Focus yesterday afternoon). We have had some good conversations with Jake and his responsibility to reflect his faith in the way he lives while with his friends (several who are lost); Jake understands this and I don't think takes it lightly.

Early AM 'cross for Ira and I (Dale and Nate were MIA). This morning was SOGGY (perfect for what we were doing) everywhere. We rode a solid hour (HR was in the upper 140's) doing a modified loop that was filled with turn after turn (uphill, off-camber, muddy, gravel... you name it we turned it). On a side note: good luck to Ira as he begins the doctoral PT program at SBU today - who says you can't teach a new dog... Every loop came with more confidence and after a while the competition turned to who touched the brakes the least (and kept a decent speed); good practice. Looking to snag some light hill running repeats tonight.

Check THIS out for some artful cross video (via Jesse Rosten)

Got home as Deb was running Ian to school and found him in a great mood as the Cards beat LA last night (it's the simple things in life...).

Now back to the Header: I have battled a mole all summer long and have used every stinking trap, explosive, gas, water hose down the run, pellet known to man (so don't submit your idea 'cause I am tried them all) and this morning I was checking to see if he had been active right before I left for work and LOW and BEHOLD I saw the ground moving; THERE HE WAS IN ACTION! I ran 20yards, grabbed a shovel, returned and HE WAS GONE. I was ticked, but what is it I see... out of the corner of my eye the ground is moving again. I started my best BATES MOTEL act and after numerous strikes I move back the soil to find my prey, but he was FREAKING GONE! No sign of anything! Oh yeah, it's double dog ON now!

PM Post: Traded the hill runs for basketball at lunch (100 x 10sec sprints works just fine). So after ball I ran by the casa to see if The Mole was active (hoping I severed a leg or digger and he was off somewhere in deep suffering...) and there it was, more mole runs. Saturday after our early AM ride I am camping out in a chair all day (if I have to) in the main area of operation and he is GOING DOWN!

2 comments:

  1. Our dog loves to dig up moles, you should invite him over. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't offer unless you are serious! I was thinking about borrowing a dog for one Saturday and tying it to a long lease in the main area of mole operation.

    ReplyDelete