Friday, August 14, 2009

Something Is Wrong Here

Thursday evening was super relaxing as we did a whole bunch of nothing. Ian was flipping channels between the Little League Baseball playoffs and pre-season football. Jake was at church working with sound system guys as he runs the system for Wednesday evening Focus (youth worship group). I had every intention of plopping my head down at 9:30pm and power sleeping until dawn, but one thing led to another and before you know it Conan was coming on (I really like his show openers - much MUCH better than Leno) and Robin Williams and I am always interested to watch his interviews (didn't say I always LIKE them, but interested). Well that turned in to a 11:10pm 'lights out' and a total waste of time as it was probably his worst 'performance' of his regular routine and was constantly dropping unnecessary profanities (Conan even looked frustrated with the whole thing).

Both the boys appeared to enjoy their first day back at the Learning Prison. Ian already identified 'new' best friends (and the girl next to him, in his words, is SMOKE'N). Jake played his off as boring like most teens do, but did say his British Lit teacher and Coach Bandy's Health classes will be fun. Speaking of Bandy, yesterday he introduced Jake to an 'Ice Bath' (up to his belly button) after their long run. J played it off like it was no big deal, but he was smiling a lot when I if it hurt...

AM came quick and I was not (sigh...). 6:45am and I am finally getting on the rig (everyone was busy so it was my 3rd solo Friday Morning Date. Beautiful crisp morning for a 2hr light cruise heading to NE Polk County. Believe it or not, I found a new 'cut-thru' road I had never ridden before (check another off the list) and it will go on the 'use more frequently' list as it will connect a couple loops to make for great variety. I planned to keep the HR pretty low, but about an hour into it I felt sluggish as the HR was much higher for the light speed I was traveling. I was getting frustrated and started contemplating 'over-training' (which I knew I had not) even dropped the pace more, but the HR wasn't cooperating. After 1:45hrs I happened to look down and my front left Froglegg (cantilever brake) bolt was coming out (still in there just backed way out) and it's spring was no longer holding tension. This caused the left brake to press against the rim as my right still had tension. I stopped and found I had a sliver of brake pad left (was a relatively new one) and the rim was coated in brake dust/debris. I whipped out my multi, fixed the cantilever, and was back riding. Amazing how now my HR and speed corresponded much better and my 'legs' felt fresh again. Ended up with 2:30hrs and a little more HR than what I intended. This afternoon I'm hitting some light running hill repeats at SBU.

Looking forward to a relaxing weekend as we have nothing of great significance on the docket. Tonight we are heading to a local bistro to listen to a local Jazz band (several of Jake's friends are in it) and tomorrow morning Deb and I are looking to get in a couple hours on the tandem and I might hit some MTB trails in the afternoon. Been some time since I mtb'ed it and I really like the Omba loops at Sac River.

I have a dilemma to figure out: USGP or stay local? Crusty and the boys are heading to Louisville for the two-day 'cross event in late October and my sponsor (Deb) has given me the go ahead; seems simple so far, yes? I have a 'race budget' in which I try to do my best to stay within (Deb laughs outloud everytime I say it with a straight face) and if I go to Louisville than that cuts deep into my funds and I will have to skip some local events to offset the trip. If I don't go then I have more money to race more events local (KC/STL). I am leaning toward local as I want to race often, but hate to miss such a huge event and get to watch the Pros go at it... what to do, what to do (this is going to keep me up a couple nights)??????

1 comment:

  1. That's what you call resistance training!!!

    ReplyDelete