Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Wake Up Call

So there I am snoozing away when the phone rings at 5am; not really a big deal as I usually get up at 5:15 on Tues and Thurs. Immediately I know it is either Dale or Ira letting me know they aren't making 'cross this morning, but Deb shoots up and says "that's not good" and so I am thinking to myself 'wow, how thoughtful that she doesn't want me to train alone' then it hits me... Jake is on his way to XC practice and I perk up. Sure enough it's Jake and he is outside of town on his way to pick up a teammate en route to the high school. He let's me know his truck is dead and won't move, he tells me his location, and off I am into the dark to play 'dad'. Get there and sure enough there is absolutely no clutch and it wasn't even engaging the transmission. We lock it up and head toward home (too late to make the team run) where he hops out and takes off on his own to get in his morning run time. It is quite impressive that this is my 16yr old and not once has he griped or talked negative about the time commitment (or of it's earliness).

So with that out of the way I head on out to the garage, mount the Orbea, and head off to meet the guys. Turns out there are no guys; solo'in it. This is a recovery week so it was really not a big deal and turns out I got in two 28min efforts keeping my HR in the 140s and concentrating on technique (dismount, remount, cornering...). I struggle with recovery/active rest periods as I think I am missing out if I don't ratchet it up, but I am constantly reminding myself that it must be done.

Jim and I got the Rodeo dropped off at a mechanic and waiting to hear the damage... Jake is back in the Durango and I am pedaling to and from work (a whopping 1 mile each way).

Last night was solid as we played a ton with Ian (basketball, croquet, baseball catch...) and I got most of the patio furniture finished (one more piece to go). Goofed with Jake some (including two beat downs I gave him on the chess board) and finished off the evening with some homemade ice cream (some from the Kemps and some from Nate's crew).

Lawn maintenance this afternoon and a light run and weight workout.

For some unknown reason I am not receiving text messages (go ahead and make your Deliverance comments Crusty); I can send (and folks are receiving), but just not coming to my Curve. Not sure how long this was gone on...


The Mole continues to be The Mole and I continue to not catch The Mole; not giving up just backing off the effort as I am resigned to the 'sheer luck' principle.

No comments:

Post a Comment